Thread: Problem with IDE Master and Hard Disk Error

Problem with IDE Master and Hard Disk Error

hello

I tried building my system with the help of motherboard and online manuals. I also have been running Vista 64 sp1 as an operating system with no issues.
    Now the problem starts here.
    I turn the machine on and get this message in the bios, from AMI. "No ide master HDD detected!" Press F1 to contiue it said. So I pressed F1, but I do not remember the next message but I reset because nothing actually happened. I also Tried again. I also went into BIOS. checked the drives and my Seagate 250 was not the 1st priority? Ok,I also fixed that and went out of Bios. System booted and Windows popped up a message.

It said restart to check SATA config. SATA configuration is set to enhanced. Configure SATA as IDE is selected. I really thought I had that to set to RAID.

Restart. Same issue same error?

I am having no idea how to fix it

Please provide some views

your views will be appreciated

Custom Guest

Re: Problem with IDE Master and Hard Disk Error

Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
    Locate and click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS
    In the right pane, right-click the NOIDE value, and then click Delete.
    Quit Registry Editor.
    After you update the registry, restart Windows. Windows attempts to initialize the protected-mode driver for the controller. If Windows can initialize the protected-mode driver for the controller, the file system and virtual memory operate in 32-bit mode and Device Manager does not display an exclamation point in a yellow circle for the IDE channels.

If the protected-mode driver is not initialized properly, you receive an error message and the NOIDE value is re-created. Windows uses the MS-DOS Compatibility mode file system the next time that you start the computer.

This issue can occur if your computer has an IDE controller that requires serialization between the primary and secondary IDE channels. The protected-mode drivers for these IDE controllers may not be initialized if one of the following situations occurs: If one IDE channel has a supported hard disk, and the second channel has a CD-ROM or another type of drive that requires Real-mode drivers. Because there must be serialization between the two IDE channels, Windows cannot access the hard disk in Protected mode and use the other device in Real mode. When this occurs, the Protected-mode driver is not initialized and the NOIDE switch is placed in the registry to prevent future errors. Both disk devices can then operate in Real mode.

-or-
    If you manually remove the driver for the IDE controller from Device Manager and then reinstall it, or if you disable and then re-enable the protected-mode driver. Some PCI controller drivers are not designed for dynamic enabling and disabling, and can cause the Protected-mode driver to not initialize properly.
    If one IDE channel has a supported hard disk, and the second channel has a CD-ROM or another type of drive that requires Real-mode drivers. Because there must be serialization between the two IDE channels, Windows cannot access the hard disk in Protected mode and use the other device in Real mode. When this occurs, the Protected-mode driver is not initialized and the NOIDE switch is placed in the registry to prevent future errors. Both disk devices can then operate in Real mode.

-or-
    If you manually remove the driver for the IDE controller from Device Manager and then reinstall it, or if you disable and then re-enable the protected-mode driver. Some PCI controller drivers are not designed for dynamic enabling and disabling, and can cause the Protected-mode driver to not initialize properly.
    The Windows device drivers for the following controllers may cause this behavior: CMD PCI-0640 PCI-IDE controller
    Standard Dual PCI-IDE controller
    Opti Dual PCI-IDE controller
    Intel 82371 AB/EB Pci Bus Master IDE Controller
    Ali M5229 PCI Busmaster IDE Controller
    CMD PCI-0640 PCI-IDE controller
    Standard Dual PCI-IDE controller
    Opti Dual PCI-IDE controller
    Intel 82371 AB/EB Pci Bus Master IDE Controller
    Ali M5229 PCI Busmaster IDE Controller
    Other PCI IDE controllers that use serialization between the IDE channels may also cause this behavior.

In the system BIOS you can select a boot order e.g. floppy, IDE 0, CDROM etc...

I'm assuming that your motherboard has both PATA and SATA and the default boot order is using PATA which you don't have, so it gives an error then proceeds to the next device SATA which you do have so all is well.

Do you know how to access the BIOS (usually DEL or F10) and change the boot order?

By the way my congratulations on building a computer without knowing too much about them.

Make sure the primary ide port is enabled in bios setup. if so you should not have to do anything. If bios is already enabled and it still doesn't work, removed the flagged device in Device Manager and reboot. Windows will automatically reload the correct driver.