Thread: Reset BIOS Password?

Reset BIOS Password?

Hi,
    i have Q6700 @ 3.5 Stable,Motherboard XfX 790i Ultra,GeForce 8800 GTX ,Corsair Memory 2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM,I want to update the system to a new BIOS or password reset, I lost the password and the windows does not start I try to boot up through cd or an external device but for that I need the password. is there a way around that via a command line or something?

Re: Reset BIOS Password?

hi,
    you can slove the issue by removing the battery on your motherboard but if you are not sure of how to do it then its better that you call in an it professional to do it.afterwards after having removed the battery for at least one minute put it back again and then reconfigure your bios.

Try this to slove the problem:
    • Power off the computer and make sure that it is unplugged.
    • Open up your computer case. You need physical access to the motherboard to complete this procedure.
    • Find a circular, (mostly) silver metallic object on the motherboard. This is the CMOS battery.
    • CAREFULLY remove the CMOS battery, avoid touching it with your fingers, and leave it out for about 120 seconds. This will flush the CMOS memory which stores the BIOS password and all other configuration. (See Warnings)
    • Set the battery back into place and power on the computer.
    • The computer should then warn you that the CMOS configuration could not be found. You can either reconfigure it yourself or restore defaults. Restoring the default configuration should be fine.
    • You will notice that the BIOS password has been cleared and you can boot without it. You may reset the BIOS password to something else by going into the BIOS configuration and setting a new User Password.

hi,
    On some motherboards, the battery is soldered to the motherboard, making it difficult to remove. If this is the case, you have another alternative. Somewhere on the motherboard you should find a jumper that will clear the BIOS password.

In most of the MBs, the BIOS password can be reset using the jumper. Refer the manual.