Thread: Maxtor External HDD no longer recognized by win xp

Maxtor External HDD no longer recognized by win xp

Hello, I recently bought a DD Maxtor Basics 1TB external USB2.0. Recognized upon installation I was able to transfer data without problem. Today I realize that it is no longer recognized at all on two different pc (desktop and laptop), both on Win XP SP3. What is happening? In your opinion what diagnosis should i do? Thank you
    -Whats the use of your old clothes if you won't give it to those who are poor?
    -Whats the use of your cooking skill if you won't cook for those who are hungy?
    -Whats the use of YOU if you won't help those in need

Re: Maxtor External HDD no longer recognized by win xp

it is possible that HDD is a defaulting party or a usb DEFAULTED. Return and replace it if possible.

I expected a little what kind of response ... but did not dare believe it. I just lost close to 250 GB of data, super ...
    USB failed, not because my ipod is recognized.
    otherwise, between the time I posted my message and now I no longer sound suspect, but I do not know if that would reassure me. Too bad, I would have another beautiful everything in return ... but with nothing inside ... thank you and good evening.
    -Whats the use of your old clothes if you won't give it to those who are poor?
    -Whats the use of your cooking skill if you won't cook for those who are hungy?
    -Whats the use of YOU if you won't help those in need

Here are a few things to try. If you have access to a secondary PC or laptop, try connecting your drive to it using a different USB cable. Also try unplugging your drive from the power outlet for a few seconds and then connecting it again. If it?s still not being recognized, Maxtor has a free utility called PowerMax (available at www.maxtor.com) that lets you run various tests on your drive till it identifies the problem.

And also Maxtor application will only work if the system first recognizes that there is a drive in the first place. It is a troubleshooting application for after you install and start having problems.
    It sounds like you might have a driver missing for the External drive. I would first try installing the software driver before anything else. Download and install the driver and software from the manufacturer's web site.
    Plus another thing to look at is if whether or not plug and play is disabled in the system Bio's. Course the easiest way to see if that is the case is to plug something else like a pen drive into the USB port and see if it is even working. It may also be that the USB port is not working or is disabled, or better yet your system has only a USB 1.0 port. In which the pen drive may work but it is not enough for the Ext. Hard Drive which requires USB 2.0.
    But the remedy is to first try the drivers and software, then check to see in your hardware manager what USB you have, then if plug and play is enabled in the BIO's as well as what the USB setting is in the Bio's, and last but not least add a USB 2.0 PCI expansion card and try that.
    Good luck!
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

Yes Maxtor offers a diagnostic program (free download) from their site: http://www.maxtor.com/ , it's called "powermax". It may be worth running that first and see what it thinks the problem is. I've run a similar program for a Western Digital drive that I couldn't access, and the WD utility fixed the problem.

The Powermax program will also allow you to do a low-level format of the hard disk, which is sometimes neccessary if parts of a drive get corrupted (for example if a previous format operation gets interrupted, etc.)

If you have other usb ports, have you tried them?
    Have you tried other usb devices in the port? such as a flash disk.
    Do you have any red or yellow errors showing in device manager?
    Are all the updates applied?