Thread: G drive is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

G drive is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

I have Western digital WD5000KS 500GB SATA HDD. Once, I remembered while working with it via USB, I had unplugged the HDD "WITHOUT" stopping it on the computer. So now the problem arises:

When I try to plug in the HDD via USB the computer doesn't detects it. But when I connect it via IDE, the BIOS recognizes it and in "My Computer" there is an icon of the disk. When I try to get in the disk it says:

G:\ is not accessible
    The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable
    Please help me with this!

Re: G drive is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

That is certainly not a good sign when it says disk read error/ disk corrupted. It usually indicates some sort of hardware failure. Why don't you try it with other USB ports or another computer? Also look into the USB connector, maybe there is something in there causing the errors (like dust).

Re: G drive is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

I was also having the same problem with my external 2.5" drive. It was a Fujitsu 60GB HD on Windows XP SP2 computer. I undoubtedly reformatted my drive and now the drive is back to normal.

SYMPTOMS

You may receive one of the following error messages:

<drive>:\<folder> is not accessible
    The file or directory is corrupt and non-readable.The file or directory is corrupt and non-readable. The file or directory \<folder> is corrupt and unreadable.
    Please Run the Chkdsk utility.
    REASON

This behavior can occur if the file, folder or file system index (Master File Table [MFT] or File Allocation Table [FAT]) is damaged.

SOLUTION

WARNING: When Chkdsk detects problems with the file system and attempts to repair the damage, data loss can occur. Microsoft does not recommend running Chkdsk with the /f command-line switch unless you have a full backup of your hard disk.

Attempt to repair the damaged file, folder or file system index using Chkdsk. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type chkdsk /f <drive>:, where <drive> is the letter of the drive on which the damaged file, folder or file system index exists.
    3. Click OK.

There are many easy-to-use diagnostic tools available on Internet that helps you to quickly determine the condition of the disc drive in your external hard drive, desktop or notebook computer. It includes several tests that will examine the physical media on your disc drive. Some of which includes:

SeaTools

Fujitsu Diagnostic Tools

ESwin SAMSUNG S.M.A.R.T UTILITY

OGT Diagnostic Tool

I think its a virus attack you should try someone anti virus software.good luck

Hi dude.
    I think u should try this-

Go to START> RUN
    Type CHKDSK G: /R

I will take some time but it is possible that your problem could be resolved

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic8 View Post
    I have Western digital WD5000KS 500GB SATA HDD. Once, I remembered while working with it via USB, I had unplugged the HDD "WITHOUT" stopping it on the computer. So now the problem arises:

When I try to plug in the HDD via USB the computer doesn't detects it. But when I connect it via IDE, the BIOS recognizes it and in "My Computer" there is an icon of the disk. When I try to get in the disk it says:

Please help me with this!

Hi dude.
    I think u should try this-

Go to START> RUN
    Type CHKDSK G: /R

I will take some time but it is possible that your problem could be resolved