Thread: What to do with a new hard drive ?

What to do with a new hard drive ?

I just received my new hard drive (640GB). On the other hand, I want to create two partitions (one for games, and another for the OS and software). Is this a good idea?

What I mean by that: is it possible to install the OS directly, or there is some manipulation which is to be carried out before?

Re: What to do with a new hard drive ?

Just boot your Windows CD, and format it. You may choose to put a partition of 100 GB or so for Windows installation. Once you are done, just go in managing disks and format the rest.

Thanks for your reply but, I do not understand one thing.

Connect the drive's fine. But run the Windows CD, then format and create a partition in it... After all this a new disk, so why you have to format?

Hard drives contains millions of bits which we must organize in order to locate information. This is therefore the basic purpose of formatting. The surface of each cylinder is divided, when formatting, in small parcels which can be more easily identified by the operating system while inserting data on it.

So it is always recommended (mandatory for some operating system) to format your new hard drive before using it.

lohastek Guest

The USB 2.0 Graphic Adapter allows you to connect an extra monitor to your desktop PC or laptop's USB port. The connected monitor can be configured to either clone your primary screen, or extend the Windows desktop allowing visibility of more applications at the same time.

The USB 2.0 Graphic Adapter driver used to control the extra screen uses very little computer resource and offers a vast array of screen resolutions and color depths. This ensures that there is little difference in performance between a directly connected screen and a screen connected through the USB 2.0 Graphic Adapter

The USB 2.0 Graphic Adapter supports up to six simultaneous displays, including widescreen displays, extending your desktop and your horizons. It operates at a high resolution of 1920x1200 / 2048x1152.

Office Use:

•View large spreadsheets across two screens with display continuity
    •Multitask more effectively without overlapping windows
    •Open attachments on one screen while reading the e-mail on the other
    Mobile Use:
    •Do multiple screen displays and presentations without bringing another computer
    Graphic Use:
    •Use second display for pallets/tools
    Data Entry Use:
    •Type documents on one screen while viewing reference material on the other
    Wall Street:
    •Use a notebook for viewing multiple screens
    •View charts and live data at the same time
    Entertainment:
    •View videos/TV on one screen and your desktop on the other scre
    •Easily connect additional monitors using a USB 2.0 Cable
    •Enjoy resolutions of up to 1920x1200 at 32 bit color
    •Allows for effortless multitasking
    •Bus Powered - No external power supply needed
    •Supports usage through powered KVMP's or USB hubs

Shenzhen Lohas Technology founded in 2002, is a reputable and trustworthy manufacturer that specilizing in designing and producing USB related products, Such as: Laptop, USB musical insturments, usb easycap video capture, usb graphic card adapter.
    Lohas has released the world first USB Midi roll up drum kit, along with various award winning USB applications with exceptional performance by utilizing its state-of-the art factory and strictly selected components. So many big buyers worldwide are sourcing from Lohas technology.
    Lohas makes sure to invest 15% of its total profits annually to keep developing innovative products to satisfy customers’ requirements.
    Enjoy Lohas, Enjoy Hi-Tech, Enjoy Green life!

hi recently i installed a 500gb harddisk(sata) alongside the old 80gb(ide) harddisk. i am hearing rotational noise from the harddisk ...it is good or bad?

A slight increase in noise from the drive is due to the way the Windows operating system handles disk drive and reading from files from the hard drive. This slight increase in noise is an expected behavior. This sound is normal, occurs when the head read / write disk is loaded / unloaded. It is possible that the hard disk becomes idle while you're using the computer. You can also hear the sound when the computer goes into sleep or leave this mode.