Thread: How to set up a fax machine?

How to set up a fax machine?

I have to choose between two options: use an online fax collector like e-fax or just get my own fax machine. I'm kind of leaning toward the fax machine right now, but what is involved to set it up? There's a couple of questions I have about the setup too, like do I choose my own number or is it just assigned to me? How is it assigned? Do I call up a number or pick from a list or is the number included in each fax machine? What types of things am I going to have to buy to get the fax machine running? I know about the USB cable, but what else? (besides paper obviously)

Anyone want to share their opinion about fax vs e-fax? Anyone use efax?
    Thanks.

Re: How to set up a fax machine?

If you buy a fax machine, you plug it into your phone line, or get your telephone company to supply a second telephone line if you want to have 2 different numbers.
    If you get a dial-up modem, you usually get phone/fax/voice software upplied with it. This option allows you to use your printer to print the faxes with.

Microsft fax can be set up on your machine this uses your own phone/PC/Modem to receive/send fax's

More info can be found here:
    http://tinyurl.com/hq0j

I use YAC to receive faxes www.yac.com

They give you a YAC number, you use this as your fax/voicemail number, they then email your fax or voicemail to you free.
    They make their money from the call charge.
    Look here:http://tinyurl.com/huc1

Ok, so my next question would be: Is this any different than efax service? Efax charges 9.95 a month I believe to have the service. And this is the exact same service through Microsoft and it's free?! If so, the choice is obvious. But is there any charge to send faxes? I haven't found pricing on that yet if there is.

OK ....If you have a dial-up modem, they are usually fax compatible using the fax software that is allready built into windows You can send and receive faxes on your own home phoneline. You can then print the received faxes out using your own printer.

Cost to send Fax will be the cost of the call as stated by your telephone service provider.

As far as receiving faxes goes, if your phoneline is in use, e.g connected to the internet or making a call, you will be unable to receive faxes, this is where the YAC number comes in. It costs nothing for you to receive the fax to this number. They then email the fax to you. Cost to receive fax zero.
    The person that sends the fax dials an 07092 number and will be charged at the standard 'K' telecoms rate ...No cost to you