Thread: Nokia Lumia 1020 Troubleshooting Guide

Nokia Lumia 1020 Troubleshooting Guide

POWER ISSUE

1. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone switches itself off

Make sure your phone has been charged correctly.
    1. Connect the charger to the mains, and then connect the charger cable to your phone.
    2. Make sure that you’re using the Nokia charger supplied with your phone.
    3. Leave your phone to charge for at least one hour.
    4. Please note: If the battery is completely empty, it may take several minutes before the charging indicator is displayed on your phone.

Also, if your phone has not been used for a long time then you may need to connect the charger, disconnect and reconnect it again for your phone to start charging.

2. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone gets warm

Please be aware that it is normal for your phone to get warmer when you are using various functions such as playing games, watching videos, making or receiving a call or when you are charging your phone.
    • This does not mean that there is a problem with your phone. If you use your phone for an extended period of time, you may notice a rise in the temperature of your phone.
    • This will not rise to a dangerous level and should not cause harm to yourself or damage to your phone.
    • You should notice the temperature drop once you have closed or ended applications that you were using.

3. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone's battery life is poor

Smartphone battery life depends on how your phone is used. What can affect battery life?
    1. Long screen timeout setting or high display brightness will reduce battery life.
    2. Apps which automatically sync information in the background will drain the battery - e.g. social networking, instant messaging, news readers, weather widgets etc. The battery life can be extended by setting apps to sync less often or by turning off background data and auto-sync.
    3. Keeping your screen on will drain the battery.
    4. Battery life can be extended by turning off wireless functions when not in use. However if data access is required Wi-Fi uses less power than mobile network internet.
    5. Any usage which keeps your phone active over an extended period will quickly drain the battery - e.g. reading books, playing games, watching video etc.
    6. Using mobile internet in areas with very low signal uses a lot of power and should be avoided if possible.

4. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone won't switch on

Make sure that your phone switches on. If your phone does not switch on, make sure it has been charged correctly.
    • Connect the charger to the mains, and then connect the charger cable to your phone.
    • Make sure you’re using the Nokia charger that was supplied with your phone.
    • Leave your phone to charge for at least one hour.
    • Switch your phone on.

Please note: If the battery is completely empty, it may take several minutes before the charging indicator is displayed on your phone. Also, if your phone has not been used for a long time then you may need to connect the charger, disconnect and reconnect it again for your phone to start charging.
    If your phone switches on and immediately switches off, it means there is not enough battery power and your phone must be charged for longer.

Re: Nokia Lumia 1020 Troubleshooting Guide

AUDIO ISSUE

1. Nokia Lumia 1020 - The music player will not start
    Try restarting your phone to resolve the problem.
    • Press and hold the 'volume down' button at the same time as the 'power' button.
    • Keep both buttons held down for 10 seconds.
    • Test your phone.

Has restarting your phone resolved the problem?

2. Nokia Lumia 1020 - Some or all music files do not play

If there are problems playing some tracks, it is most likely to be because of corrupted files or invalid file types. The types of music file supported by your phone are:
    • ASF
    • MP4
    • AAC
    • AMR
    • MP3
    • M4A
    • WMA
    • 3GP
    • 3G2

Check your file types and make sure they are compatible with your phone, especially if you are using a memory card from a previous device.

3. Nokia Lumia 1020 - There is no sound through my headphones

Check to see if there is anything stuck inside the headphone port that could be blocking the headphone connection. If there is something inside the port, try to remove this if possible. Also check to see if there is any damage to the port (e.g. the connection is loose when you connect your headphones).

4. Nokia Lumia 1020 - There is no sound at all when I play music

Please check the volume setting on your phone. To do this:
    • Press the 'Volume up' button on the side of your phone. You will see the volume level increasing at the top of the screen. Make sure the volume is turned up to '15/30' or higher.
    • Try calling your phone, has this solved the problem?

5. Nokia Lumia 1020 - I can't hear anything through my headphones

Check to see if there is anything stuck inside the headphone port that could be blocking the headphone connection. If there is something inside the port, try to remove this if possible. Also check to see if there is any damage to the port (e.g. the connection is loose when you connect your headphones).

SOFTWARE ISSUE

1. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone doesn't load up properly

If your phone does not load the homescreen, make sure it has been charged correctly.
    • Connect your charger to the mains and then connect the cable to your phone.
    • Make sure that you are using the Nokia charger supplied with your phone.
    • Leave your phone to charge for at least one hour and then try to switch your phone on.

2. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone crashes or freezes at random

• Press and hold the 'volume down' button at the same time as the 'power' button.
    • Test your phone.

3. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone restarts itself
    • If you know which application is causing the problem you can remove it.
    • Scroll from right to left on your homescreen

4. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone is stuck on the spinning gears screen

If you phone does not load up and shows the turning gears screen, you may be able to use a program called Nokia Software Recovery Tool to resolve the problem.

Nokia Software Recovery Tool is only available to download on Windows 7 and 8 computers. It can be downloaded 'here'.
    If you do not have access to a computer running Windows 7 or higher select 'Next' below.

Please note: Your phone needs to be fully charged (if possible) and disconnected from your computer before you begin. Any content stored on your phone will be deleted during this process.
    • Download and install the Nokia Software Recovery Tool onto your computer. Follow the on screen instructions to complete the installation.
    • Once installed, open the program and connect your phone to your computer using a working USB cable.
    • Select 'My phone does not start up or respond'.
    • Make sure that any other phones are disconnected from your computer.
    • Select 'Continue' to begin.
    • Once prompted, press and hold the 'volume down' and 'power' buttons until your phone vibrates.
    • The Nokia Software Recovery Tool will download the newest firmware for your phone. This process may take some time depending on your internet connection.
    • Follow any further instructions to complete the process.

If you find that your phone is still not working correctly, click 'Next' below to book your phone in for repair.

OTHER ISSUE

1. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone's screen is damaged
    • You need to book your phone in for a repair.
    • Accidental, physical or water damage to your phone is not covered under the warranty and therefore you may be charged for a repair once inspected.
    • To book your phone in please select 'Book a repair' below.

2. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone has been in contact with liquid

This is not a problem with your phone. Due to the way the camera is installed in the phone, if you shake the phone you may be able to hear a slight rattle. The camera has a very complex optics mechanism that needs to sit on ball bearings and this is what you may be able to hear rattling.

3. Nokia Lumia 1020 - I'm having problems connecting to a computer

If your computer does not detect your phone as a media device when you connect it to a computer, please try the following:
    • If you are a Mac user, you need to download the 'Windows Phone' app from the Mac App Store. For more information click: 'here'.
    • If you are a Windows 7 user, you can download the 'Windows Phone' app in addition to using 'Windows Explorer'. To download the app click: 'here'.
    • Check your USB connection. Make sure that you're using the USB cable that was included with your phone. Don't use a USB hub or the ports located on the front of your computer.
    • Restart your computer and your phone.

4. Nokia Lumia 1020 - I have a problem with my phone's camera

If the camera function on your phone does not start up properly (i.e. starts up with a blank screen, an error or doesn't start up at all), click 'Next'.
    • If your phone displays 'Memory Full' when your start up the camera, this is because your phone's internal memory is full and you need to delete or transfer some of the data saved on your phone to free up memory.
    • The memory on your phone can be used up by picture or text messages, apps, photos or music files.
    • You can back-up these files on a computer or memory card before deleting them.
    • If you have freed up memory and 'Memory Full' is still displayed, select 'Next'.

5. Nokia Lumia 1020 - I can't connect using Bluetooth
    • If you are having difficulty connecting to an older accessory using Bluetooth, this may be caused by incompatibility between your accessory and the Bluetooth version on your Lumia 1020.
    • The Lumia 1020 uses the latest generation Bluetooth 3.0, which in a small number of cases may not be compatible with older Bluetooth devices.
    • For further assistance with your Bluetooth accessory please contact the original supplier.
    • If you are having problems connecting to Bluetooth devices which are using Bluetooth 3.0, click 'Next'.

6. Nokia Lumia 1020 - When on a call my screen doesn't go blank

• Test your phone.

7. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone has incorrect language settings

If you find that your phone displays incorrect country information such as the '$' symbol instead of the '£' symbol, this is due to the language settings not being set correctly.
    • To change the language settings:
    • Select the 'arrow' icon from your homescreen.

8. Nokia Lumia 1020 - I have a problem with my phone's camera

If the camera function on your phone does not start up properly (i.e. starts up with a blank screen, an error or doesn't start up at all), click 'Next'.
    • If your phone displays 'Memory Full' when your start up the camera, this is because your phone's internal memory is full and you need to delete or transfer some of the data saved on your phone to free up memory.
    • The memory on your phone can be used up by picture or text messages, apps, photos or music files.
    • You can back-up these files on a computer or memory card before deleting them.

9. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My calls break up or drop out

If you are experiencing problems with network services or poor signal on your phone in a particular area, please check the network coverage for that area.
    • Please note: Network coverage predicts signal that is available outdoors, signal levels received by your phone can vary and may be affected by; buildings, trees or weather conditions.
    • To check the network coverage of your service provider for your location:
    • Select your network provider from the drop down list above and then select the link.
    • If the coverage checker shows good coverage for your location, select 'Next' to continue.

10. Nokia Lumia 1020 - When making calls 'Network busy' appears

If your phone displays 'Network busy' when trying to make a call, this will normally be due to a network problem and the call will be successful on the second or third attempt.

This should only occur occasionally.

If the problem happens on every call, remove and reinsert the SIM card or try your SIM card in another phone if you have one available. If this does not solve the problem, contact your network provider to ensure that there is not a problem with your SIM card or the network service.

11. Nokia Lumia 1020 - There is no network service on my phone

If you are experiencing problems with network services or poor signal on your phone in a particular area, please check the network coverage for that area.

Please note: Network coverage predicts signal that is available outdoors, signal levels received by your phone can vary and may be affected by; buildings, trees or weather conditions.
    • To check the network coverage of your service provider for your location:
    • Select your network provider from the drop down list above and then select the link.
    • If the coverage checker shows good coverage for your location, select 'Next' to continue.
    • To discuss the signal coverage levels / possible problems with coverage and upgrades to the signal coverage for your location, you need to contact your network service provider. Select 'Contact your network' below.

12. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My phone displays enter PIN or PUK code
    • If your phone is asking for a PIN number but you have forgotten it, repeatedly input your PIN incorrectly until the error 'Enter PUK' is displayed, you will then be able to unlock your phone with a 'PUK' code.

13. Nokia Lumia 1020 - The display on my phone is blank

Make sure that your phone switches on. If your phone does not switch on, make sure it has been charged correctly.
    • Connect your charger to the mains and then connect the cable to your phone.
    • Make sure you’re using the Nokia charger that was supplied with your phone.
    • Leave your phone to charge for at least one hour.
    • Switch your phone on.

14. Nokia Lumia 1020 - The display on my phone is faint or unclear
    • Check the screen for any signs of damage.
    • If your phone screen shows any shattered images, black smudges, oily marks or distorted lines (not straight lines), these symptoms are not covered by your phone’s warranty.
    • Your phone may have to be repaired outside of the manufacturer's warranty and could result in you being charged.

15. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My screen does not rotate
    • Test your phone.

16. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My screen is zoomed in
    • Your phone features a screen magnification tool which allows you to zoom in on the screen.
    • This can accidentally be turned on by double tapping on the screen with two fingers.
    • To turn the feature off, double tap the screen with two fingers again.

17. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My touchscreen does not work properly
    • If your phone's touchscreen is unresponsive or slow, firstly check that you do not have a screen protector on your phone.
    • Some screen protectors can reduce the touchscreen sensitivity.
    • If you don't have a screen protector or the screen is still unresponsive or slow, select 'NEXT'

18. Nokia Lumia 1020 - My buttons do not work properly
    • Make sure that you have removed any case that you may have on your phone.
    • Check that your phone is not locked:
    • Press the 'power' button on the right hand side of your phone, if the screen lights up swipe the screen upwards to unlock your phone.

19. Nokia Lumia 1020 - I cannot send or receive text messages

You need to remove and reinsert your SIM card.
    • Press and hold the 'power' button to turn your phone off.
    • Use the SIM tray tool to eject the SIM card from your phone.
    • Wait around 10 seconds then replace the SIM card.
    • Press the 'power' button to turn your phone back on.

20. Nokia Lumia 1020 - The internet on my phone is slow

Unfortunately if you are only in a 2G coverage area, your phone may struggle to stream media and loading websites may be slow. The reason for the internet being slow is due to the fact that a 2G signal cannot stream as much data as 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi signal.

Although 3G and 4G can support streaming media, it needs a constant connection speed and due to other users connecting and disconnecting from the network regularly, the 3G and 4G connection strength that a phone receives will constantly vary.

If you are able to connect to a Wi-Fi network you will find that media streaming will be more reliable. Although it will depend on the speed of your internet connection and the size of the video being watched.

If you have any issues with your 3G or 4G services, please contact your network to ensure there are no problems with your SIM card or network services.