Thread: How to connect Ubuntu Client to Windows Server

How to connect Ubuntu Client to Windows Server

Linux is a wise choice for those who are fed up with slows and buggy operating system. I had fed up using Windows for some time. But I cannot switch to any operating system as my client was on Windows server. As I am addicted to Linux, I had tried to found a number of way by which I can configure my system on Windows Server using Linux distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint. This is the one of the latest and feature operating system we have. You can choose anyone of your choice. Mint Maya is more new with rich features and new desktop.

If you are planning to switch your operating system then one thing that matters to check is application compatibility and network access. You do not need to worry about your hardware mostly. Linux Distros like Ubuntu or Mint can simply run all your hardware without the struggle of searching drivers. That is the best point of using these operating systems. Second there are thousands of application packages that freely available over internet. Open up your software manages and download them. I prefer to go with Mint as it is the most recent one. Linux Mint has a nice desktop with new start menu that is organized with different applications. It tracks your recently used applications along with suggestion for web surfing.

So as I am said before that you need two things to check. First application compatibility and second network access. Application compatibility is the one that has blocked my path. I have an internal lan messenger that sync with Active Directory and generates an auto account for client machine. So here what I need to do is add my computer on domain. Then from the server I need import the Active Directory account in the lan messenger server. That’s all. So the first important task for me was to find the portable solution to run that windows based lan messenger on Linux Mint Maya. I have option to use Wine. That is the only portable solution that I can go for. Luckily that helped. I am used to Yahoo Messenger and Gtalk compared to Pidgin. Both messenger also worked. I cannot ignore the conference interface of Yahoo Messenger which Pidgin lacks.

So half of my job was done. Now comes the actual task of configuring the system on Active Directory. Fortunately Linux Distros can read your Windows network. They can show up the shared folders and you can also use your login credential for restricted area. What matters most is proper sync of your account with Active Directory. At my place every user is assigned with 20GB of dedicated space on Windows server. On that space they can keep import work files. Later on when a user switch his system or he is shifted the same shared space in visible on other desktop also. There are packages available for Linux Distro to connect the client with Windows Server but the place where they lack is the accessing the shared space assigned to each user. This is the place where I have to work harder.

I had divided this article on two parts. First discussing more about Windows application compatibility on Linux Distros like Ubuntu/May and second based on guide to connect your Linux client with Windows Server. It is quiet important to discuss about the application compatibility. It is awesome if we can find the open source version of application that we are using on Windows. But those mostly for popular applications. They are not some exclusive app that you are using for internal purpose. So go through the article below and feel free to post your views on the same.

Application Compatibility:

You might be wondering that is this worth to discuss here. Won’t it be cumbersome in reading. No. This is an important aspect to begin. Because even if you installed Linux Distros on your system, you might need to switch back to Windows if some of the application failed to work. This article will be mostly read by beginners who are planning to switch. Those who have a good experience in using Linux distros they are feel free to find better alternative. Some of even use Virtualization to run specialized application. The choice to switch to Linux lies under performance. I had notice that as you keep using Windows it became slower. The reason can be many. Installing new software’s, recent updates, antivirus, etc. Windows has tons of services in the background and every new application generates a new services. This service uses your cpu and rams to run process. Even if you install 10 different types of launcher on your Windows desktop it will freeze like hell. At my place I prefer to use my system only for working. My major time is consumed on web. So at that point I have to visit number of website. I got a crazy habit of right clicking on every link and opening up in new tab. Sometime I open more than 15 to 20 tabs at a time. The default browser that I use is Firefox.

When you install it first time it looks quite happy. Works faster gives faster results, etc. But after a few weeks it can be responsible to freeze your entire system. In Task Manager a major amount of ram is consumed by this browser only. Quite the browser and then restart. On restarting the browser tries to restore your old session of many tabs again killing the desktop. But if you check the same browser in Linux Mint Maya there is a great difference. I had started performance meter on one side and the browser on the other side. After opening up around 20 Tabs in Firefox it works smooth as it was on starting. There was bit lagging situation in between. But compared to Windows it was smoother. If you need a flashy desktop then going for Ubuntu LTS is better. Because Mint does not provide you additional desktops. Linux distros are quiet lighter and has better application management.

So what I can say in simple words that application compatibility is quiet proper here. Linux Mint Maya or Ubuntu has capability to run your applications and perform in proper way. Somehow I had noticed one thing that in Linux Distro the cpu heats up faster compared to Windows. I am talking about working on resource intensive applications or while when you are surfing heavily.

1. So first thing, make a note of all applications that you are using in your Windows before switching. S

2. Second tick those which have a Linux version available. Then those which are remained you test that they will work on Wine or not. For that you will need a 4GB USB Drive.

3. Download Mint iso file on your system. Also Download Unetbootin. (Use your Windows PC for that)

4. Connect the USB. Format it does not keep anything in that. Run Unetbootin. Browser your ISO file and at the below box provide your USB location. When you connect your USB it will be reflected automatically. Have a look on the screenshot of Unetbootin below. Click on OK.

5. Unetbootin will them format your pen drive and will copy Linux Mint Maya on the USB drive. You can boot your system from that drive and test it. You install applications run software, surf web, etc. It same is like your fully installed operating system, but the issue with that is the performance is slower before of low storage space. The same work better on hard drive.

6. It is also possible to install Linux Mint Maya and Windows side by side. You can then remove that from Control Panel if you are not willing it use it anymore.

7. Once you boot your system go in Start > Software Manager. At the top right search box type Wine. Install it and test your Exe files on the same.

Re: How to connect Ubuntu Client to Windows Server

Connecting your Linux Distro on Windows Server:

Connecting your Linux client to Windows server contains a number of options. You have a shared printer on the network, you have a shared drive and access to Active Directory configured via gpo based on user account restriction. Now all those stuff are not possible to get as it is on Linux Distro. You have to comprise with some options. There is minor adjustment done from your side. If you are on a large network with attached storage and more security applications then you must ignore this stuff. You have to talk to your network admin before switching to your operating system.

The most common way is configuring samba server on the network. It makes it more comfortable. I will begin with a simple to use application called a Centrify. Centrify is chargeable. But there is a basic free edition available in software manager. You can use it for testing purpose.

Connect Windows Server by Centrify:

1. Launch Software Manager > Type Centrify in the search box

2. Click on the centrifydc and it will be installed automatically. Then launch terminal. In that type the following command - adjoin -w yourdomainname. After that the terminal will prompt you for the domain Active Directory password. Then type –adinfo. Insert your server related information on the same and then check back. You need appropriate login credential of Windows Server. You need admin access to the server. If you do not have that admin credential then you will need to contact your network admin. This process is also applicable for other version of Centrify also.

Access Shared Space Assigned via Active Directory on Linux Client:

Many of you might be afraid that after installing Linux Distro you might not able to access your shared folder on your system. The shared folder is the server space that I had told in above paragraph. The space can be access by the following way.

1. Click on Start > Network > Windows Network. There will be other network listed on the same screen, but that will not be accessible.

2. Inside Windows Network > Click on your Domain. Inside it you can find the list of your Domain configured on Windows Server.

3. Double click on your Domain and inside you can find the list of shared folder space which is assigned to each user via Active Directory. Double click on your shared folder provide the Admin Login credential and you can access your folder.

Authenticating Linux Client on Active Directory

This is another critical process. You will find a direct desktop access when you boot in Ubuntu or Mint Maya. But you can add an Active Directory authentication access to it. The screen will prompt you to provide your Active Directory logins to access your desktop and shared folder same like Windows PC. There is a small package used for the purpose called as Likewise Open. This app wills entire turn your system to on Active Directory system. First thing you have to download and install Likewise in your system. This will change your login screen to required Login box.

• Once you are done with download and installation you can use it to access your domain. Keep your active directory credential ready.

• Now in the application you have set of boxes. The first is computer name, domain, etc. In the computer name add a name. Then add the domain.

• Click on Join. If you face any error then you will need to ensure that your computer has obtained appropriate network id before. This is actually tracked by active directory. In many cases if you are in a small internet network you do not need to configure active directory access here.