Thread: Fan control with RivaTuner for nVidia cards

Fan control with RivaTuner for nVidia cards

Introduction

Boardies is many it may be this: We know that it is possible in principle, SpeedFan or RivaTuner to use tools such as the pc one hand, make a low voice to, and also ensure that the Temps the hardware in the tolerable range remain - especially in graphic card that automatic fan control is often set so that the GPUs are very warm. My 8800 GT for example is only available from 108° to 100% can run the fan (not that I would have tried ...). However, these tools are not always easy to use, often called "fox" is about and nothing. Useful HowTos are sparsely scattered over the Internet. And the very RivaTuner is indeed a very powerful tool that one to change the voltages as good as anything goes up. This also takes with it the disadvantage that it takes a while to get into the part quite well hidden menus no longer lost for each default. And if you look in the forum for help, one is often just "wrong written," the thing was so self-explanatory.

The few HowTos which are found to do, the fan control over any profiles that you on other profiles on your own Laucher, the "do-this-if-this-worth-a-certain limit exceeds" in accordance with the principle. Works - but it is terrible to set up and - even more impractical - can regulate the fan only gradually.

There are still a much simpler method - the fan even linear with temperature increase (loosely based on the formula: y = kx + d, if someone can start to what) Controls. So I've decided to share my recently acquired knowledge with others - I used an ATI and could quite easily be used to control ATT - the changeover to the RivaTuner was quite violent.

Preparations

Logically, one must first download a RivaTuner and install. For clarity: The screens in the red labels / buttons have to clean what you write / click ...

Re: Fan control with RivaTuner for nVidia cards

On the tab "Settings" go. Checkmark next to "Send to tray on close" and "Run at Windows startup" (the best "via Startup registry key") set. "Apply" to confirm.

On the tab "Power User" to go. The message of "dangerous", etc. with a check mark for future action disable.

The entry "RivaTuner \ Fan" (do not confused with "RivaTuner \ NVIDIA \ Fan") the "+" and extended "AutoFanSpeedControl" into the box to the right "3" to enter at.

Back to the tab "Main" to go back. On the small "Customize" button in the Label click there, the display is in, which chip and memory (type) of the card features. Shown an arrow mark in first figure.

The box that opens, click the first icon in.

The chop to "Enable low-Lewel fan control" set, and auto select. "Apply" to confirm. The tool end, recall that window and call again.

And now it should apply only to decide at which values make the fan was.

Duty cycle min: Returns in percent, the fan should rotate at least as fast. RivaTuner is also not in a position to accept any duty cycle min value - the program automatically sets the "closest" possible a value.

For this purpose, it must be said that in the Registry Editor (ie at power users) the value "RivaTuner \ NVIDIA \ Fan" - "MinFanSpeedLimit must to 0", so that the fan in the case of the 8800 GT, will make slower than with 29 % run. Worked for me but does not work - but 29% are virtually inaudible. I think the BIOS thing pushes a stop before.

Duty cycle max: Returns in percent, the fans will turn up soon. RivaTuner is also not in a position to accept any duty cycle min value - the program automatically sets the "closest" possible a value.

T min: This is to the value in this field you must add 7. Then you get the temperature at which the fan begins to spin faster than specified duty cycle min.

T range: This value indicates at which temperature range of T min speed of the fan is within the allowable percentage range, the fan speed will vary.

Calculate the correct value Trang, where T max is that temperature, the upper end of the temperature range is that, so the fan is switched on Duty cycle max:
    T range = T max - T min
    The adjustment will be linear exhaustion of the temperature range between T min to T max and (Min T + T range) is then turned over full (specify when duty cycle max). Since we at T-point numbers do not enter a range (with a few exceptions) can only integers (whole numbers), one has calculated the value round. The formula one can also convert, so that one can calculate T max, if one has a given T range. RivaTuner is also unable to accept any T value range - the program automatically sets the "closest" value.

The following values are allowed for T range: 2, 2.5, 3.33, 4, 5, 6.67, 8, 10, 13:33, 16, 20, 26.67, 32 (default), 40, 53.33, 80.

The remaining three have values of the change of T min to do what dynamic now - which I do not know exactly. This "feature" however, by setting:
    • T operating at 110
    • T low limit to 0
    • T high limit to 110

prevented - and everything works.

"Apply fan settings at Windows startup" In the box set and "Apply" to confirm.

Example

Understand everything? Not? Well, I'm probably failed because writing a simple, understandable Update

A small sample calculation can still help provide additional clarity:
    Duty cycle min set to throw 29 - because less is not (see above). Duty cycle max to 100, of course - so that the fan actually goes full throttle when it becomes dangerous. T min to 54 - that is, if one adds to 7, then you get to the level at which the fan starts, faster than the 29% run, in the case of 61 °.
    Our T max should be 79 °.
    From this we calculate our T range:
    T range = T max - T min
    Caution: Do not use the registered at T min value, but the increase by 7.
    79-60 = 19

Yet, it may not RivaTuner the value 19 (see above) - and is on the 20th What a T max of 80° means. This deviation is with the comment "bearable" accepted by us. The value of T max = 79° I have not intentionally of course adopted by 80°, which show the effects to see that it is not possible, value for T range can use any integer. Must now be still operating on T 110, T low limit to 0 and T high limit set at 110 and "Apply" to confirm. The RivaTuner can be closed (he wanders out into the tray bar), and controls the fan for us in the background of the card.

Checking the Success

To check whether the fan control worked, it is appropriate to their own hardware monitor to use RivaTuner. He is called, where you place in the main window, click the small button click Customize, and now not the first but the second last icon (magnifying glass on film) selected. With the Setup button on the right below, you can choose which sensor data to be displayed by right-clicking in a chart and then click on Setup, you can customize the chart. Bottom left you have to get the red record button "Enable" to allow the hardware monitor is active, even if another application is in the foreground.

It is advisable to start an application that loads the the graphics card and see whether the fan behaves as desired. But you have to say about the image a lot. I have the settings very similar to the example of the settings used. As can be seen, turns on the fan is not fully cooked, T max is thus not achieved. This may be because my case was open at the time of measurement and the room temperature is just located at 20 °. I also have the diagrams corresponding elevated to core temperature and fan speed can be clearly seen from the correlation. CPU limitation is an insight view but I - the graphics card has to do definitely had Genung (E4500 @ 2928 MHz + 8800 GT in 1680 * 1050, 8xAA, 16xAI).

Tip - make backup of the Registry

Since most of the settings are stored in the registry directly, it is easy for backup to make a little - to no time putting everything must be set again the next time. Also you should keep in mind that check boxes are not affected. This, then, deals with the automatic start of the RivaTuner Statistics Server and in Windows startup, send to tray on close and by the Department Overclocking the checkbox to run the clock 2D Windows startup. The check mark should, after the registry backup was entered, be set manually.

A word about OS compatibility

How so is clearly seen from the screens, I have created the HowTo on Windows XP (Professional) - to the former point, I was not really familiar with Vista. After extensive treatment of the theme "compatible with Vista" and following examination under Vista64 Ultimate, by switching to "Parallel Operation Vista - XP" was possible, I have come to the conclusion that the HowTo under Vista64 ( only have to stop to teach the user account control, not every startup to a manual confirmation to wait - and probably Vista32) work effectively. I plan to soon write a small HOWTO, which describes one of many ways to do this ... Addition: After moving to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 I noticed that all my statements are about Vista for Windows 7. Windows XP and Vista, I was now an only virtualized in - therefore I can not go into more in future updates.

Windows Vista / Windows 7 - vs. UAC Using RivaTuner

As in the discussion thread often discussed the, there is the use of Windows operating systems from the post-XP era at activation of the User Account Control function following problem: The RivaTuner is the startup (either through the registry or the Startup folder, loaded) - the screen is slightly darker and the obligatory UAC message appears. To work around this problem, it is useful to RivaTuner on not auto start, but can be started via the Task Scheduler. As a result, Windows' own "RivaTuner starts and therefore assumes that there is no risk. The first thing you have to disable the normal course Startup (tab "Settings" - under "RivaTuner startup settings" uncheck "Run at Windows startup" Remove - "apply").

To start the Task Scheduler, you click "Start - Run (alternatively: Ctrl + R). "Taskschd.msc" and click "OK" to confirm. UAC should be already selected, a message appears that one must of course answer "yes". In the window that opens you have the top of the menu "Action" - "Create Task ..." . Click
    The border is now open window in the "Name" any name - "RivaTuner" would be a good way. Furthermore, the check "Run with highest privileges" are activated. Now, you switch to the tab "Trigger". With the button "New" to create a new trigger, that is, determine when the scheduled task to run. "Starting task:" If you choose "Registrations" from. Furthermore, it is easy to vote in "Settings" a specific user, and while this is mandatory, however I have not tested whether this would also apply to the Administrator account, which even with a possible error search would not necessarily make sense. "Ok" Close the window the "Edit Trigger".

Continue the Actions tab. You can click "New" button and "Action:" Start "Program" option. Under "Settings" under "Program / script" with the "Browse" button to the path of the RivaTuner EXE (in accordance with the installation selected program folder). "Add arguments (optional)" When you write more "/ tray" in the field (thus ensures that RivaTuner will disappear right in the toolbar). "Ok" to close the window "Edit Action". "Ok" to close the window "Properties of RivaTuner. And then you are done.!!

Now RivaTuner should automatically at login without UAC demand started and are stored in the toolbar.