Thread: Installing and using Alien on Ubuntu

Installing and using Alien on Ubuntu

Installing softwares in Ubuntu linux is so simple! Just download the .deb package file. Double-Click it and the package manager will install the software for you. As simple as installing a software in Windows Operating System, Right? But image, there are sometimes that debain package[.deb file] for some software is not available or some software that you want to use is available for other distribution of linux but not for Ubuntu, What will you do? Confused? Some would just ignore the software without even racking their brain..! But some will say "Can i convert the package for my distribution?" But some people will laugh at those thinking to convert the package. But this is possible! Really? But how? The answer is ALIEN. The name says for itself.

What is Alien?

Alien is a program that converts between the rpm, dpkg, stampede slp, and slackware tgz file formats. If you want to use a package from another distribution than the one you have installed on your system, you can use alien to convert it to your preferred package format and install it.

Despite the large version number, alien is still (and will probably always be) rather experimental software. It has been used by many people for many years, but there are still many bugs and limitations.

Install alien in Ubuntu

Code:
    sudo apt-get install alien
    How to convert files?

Available Options for alien

Convert the package.rpm into a package.deb

Code:
    sudo alien -d package-name.rpm
    -d is used for default

Convert the package.rpm into a package.deb, and install the generated package.

Code:
    sudo alien -i package-name.rpm
    If you want to keeps alien from changing the version number use the following command

Code:
    sudo alien -k rpm-package-file.rpm
    Example

Suppose we have a avg antivirus avg71lms-r30-a0782.i386.rpm file

To convert .rpm to debian

Code:
    sudo alien -k avg71lms-r30-a0782.i386.rpm
    Now you should be having avg71lms-r30-a0782.i386.deb file

To install .deb file

sudo dpkg -i avg71lms-r30-a0782.i386.deb

If you don’t use -k option you should see avg71lms_r30-1_i386.deb file the difference is it will add 1

I hope everything is clear enough to understand... If any problems, post here... All the best...!

NOTE : Alien should not be used to replace important system packages, like sysvinit, shared libraries, or other things that are essential for the functioning of your system. Many of these packages are set up differently by Debian and Red Hat, and packages from the different distributions cannot be used interchangably. In general, if you can’t uninstall the package without breaking your system, don’t try to replace it with an alien version. Whatever you do, will be at your OWN RISK.

Re: Installing and using Alien on Ubuntu

Hey!
    I’m using sudo alien -d! -d is for debian. what exactely is the difference when you use -k (keep version)? Please help guys! I don't want to screw my machine, so just want to be sure...!

Re: Installing and using Alien on Ubuntu

Heya...!

Read this guide properly dude...! Just don't screw up your machine...! -d is for DEFAULT. and yeah -k if for preserving the same verion or you can say, "keep version".