Thread: How to flash Graphic Card BIOS ?

How to flash Graphic Card BIOS ?

For a successful change and proper flash of the bios of your graphic card, we will follow the below steps:

1. Preparation
    2. Change the bios
      • Save the original bios
      • Editing ATI bios
      • Editing nVidia bios
    3. Flashing with the new bios
      • Flashing ATI
      • Flashing nVidia

First, I wish to clarify that, legally, flashing a graphic card immediately invalidate any warranty.

In fact, it appears that it is not clear whether the card was flashed. So just put the original bios in case of any problems. In addition, or a mere flash card can make it totally useless, just put the original bios and it can be done easily. You will see that the risks are very limited, if not nonexistent.

Preparation steps for flashing Graphic Card BIOS

Step 1: Preparation

It is possible to improve things in terms of comfort simply by modifying the BIOS of a graphic card, one can, for example, modify the parameters of ventilation, in order to silence his card if it warms or if it is too hot, it is possible to overclock so that it always boot with good frequency, and thus avoid losing by changing the frequency of OS, and can also underclock frequencies 2D to save energy and can also increase the voltage supplied to the GPU without going through a vmode (physical alteration of the card). For all these reasons it is sometimes useful, even necessary, to flash his card.

I will try to explain how to edit and flash the bios of your graphics card.

Start with the software.

The essential GPU-Z, in its latest version, the editor bios (RBE or NIBITOR) and a utility to flash (Winflash, nvflash, atiflash). At first everything will be fine, but when in doubt, see if you can get a graphics card relief. You'll also need a floppy or USB stick if you choose a flash under DOS (very simple, do not be afraid). Now to the method itself.

Saving the Graphic Card BIOS

Step 2: Change the bios

Save the original bios

First, start by saving the original bios. Why? Simply because, as stated in the preamble, it will be useful in case of failure to return to service, to have a backup bios and safe, but because we'll change it. We must support that work.
    For this, there is software (most utilities reflashing offer a backup), but GPU-Z in its final version will be perfect (as it happens sometimes, only the software is functional). Click on the icon on the phone BIOS version, and click Save to file.

Save Graphics Card BIOS

I advise you to find a name as short and simple as possible, or a failure to write a paper in the case of a flash in DOS (some version of MS DOS only display a few characters if the name is too long).

Now that your BIOS is set, we can improve it.

Either you have an ATI or it is an nVidia, but to change, the principle is the same, only the tools are different.

Editing ATI BIOS using RBE (Radeon Bios Editor)

Editing ATI BIOS using RBE (Radeon Bios Editor)

Note 1: For 4800, I do not touch anything other than a management bios because the fan must be validated by ATi to work properly. You can still try to flash but the symptom is that the card is no longer recognized, even by reinstalling the drivers. To fix, use a DOS reflashing Winflash if no longer works. It is still possible to flash the card to have the highest frequencies, but there are still some risks to the screen flashes as the case ... rather unpleasant, H24.

Note 2: For HD2000 and even 3000, CBABE (Computer Base Ati Bios Editor) is recommended. Less successful than RBE (it does not propose that the change of voltages and frequencies), it seems to work better.

Note 3: Some old maps are easier to change via Rabit, a former editor BIOS.

As you can see, there are three (or four) tabs.

The first, Information, is pretty useless. It displays information on the bios, but I do not change. For example, you can change the Sub vendor ID and Video Card ID, but it will not change the perfs, the only difference will that GPU Z (or another soft detection GPU) will show what you are asking here. The risk is that bad drivers are installed (if any).

Radeon Bios Editor Information Tab

Overall, skip this tab and go to the next, Clock Settings.

In this tab you find anything that relates to the frequency of the graphics card. There are three lines corresponding to frequencies GPU, RAM and vGPU of the card. Each column is a profile. Each profile is explained in the box below. But overall, the profile 0 is the boot profile, 1 is the 2D profile and 3D profile, you must look.

To find it, look in the box below. This box tells you about the profiles, even if not always very clear. There are several families (boot, 2D, UVD, 3D, etc ...) profile, each family with 3 modes: low, medium and high. I only recommend change the way high, or to change the 3 modes in the same way.

In the case of a 4870 X2, the profile is 3D Power saving for notebooks on battery mode, high performance, optimal performance, accelerated 3D template overdrive. For 4850 however, it is Power saving for notebooks on battery mode, high performance, optimal performance. You have to find now, it is case by case.

Radeon Bios Editor Clock Settings Tab

Clarification anyway, when you set the frequency, make sure they are accepted by the graphics card. To do this, the best is yet to test fly a Windows (with ATITool, for example). 3D for frequencies, use and run a benchmark, or a game, and make sure it is stable, it's even better. For 2D frequencies, use them, and let your computer turn 2D (so it seems normal). If there is no blinking, or other crash, it seems good. To save energy, it is better to lower the GPU, which consumes far more than the RAM. Frequencies to boot, I advise you not to touch.

According to the card can also change the voltage of GPU. This parameter is more sensitive and reserved for more experienced: a low voltage can save energy, but if it is too low, you can have bugs. Similarly, the increase can be dangerous.

Radeon Bios Editor Fan Settings Tab

Now we move to the third tab, Fan Settings. This allows you to change how the fan will turn depending on the weather.

But before I explain how I will explain the relevance of this. More and more cards are profiles ventilation based silence. It is purely marketing, it allows us to say that the card is no noise in 2D. It's interesting but not hot shot it bad, and maps such as hot in 4850 are 2D! In the same way, in order to have a silent card in 90% of cases, the fan is triggered only when the card is ready to overheat in this way ... it's silence even in 3D, but at a temperature often too high.

The aim will be to keep the card quietest possible in 2D, and not to do too much heat in 3D. So, start by sorting the stolen Windows fan of the map, and note the time the fan started making noise. Usually it was around 30-40%. Then, enter the value found in the box Duty cycle min. For ventilation is effective and determined, we need the fan goes off when it starts heating. The challenge will be to ensure that it does not fire too soon, otherwise we will have a phenomenon similar to that of 4870: fan blowing hard sometimes 2D. And if we rule wrong, the fan will not fire and heat map too.

Start by setting the maximum temperature Tmax that you do not want to see passed. Note that a modern GPU cash easily more than 100 °C, but for my part, I do not go beyond 80-85 °C. Then, determine the temperature of the 2D map (but with a maximum speed of the fan). In my case, it is about 50 ° C in 2D. So I go back 10 ° C above (60 °) in the case Tmin. Thus, below this value will be the fan noise, and above, it will start to blow. See the graph on the right, it sums up the situation.

3000/4000 case of these cards can be directly overclockes overdrive since the CAC. The problem is that the limit frequency is often too low. RBE but allows you to edit these frequencies and to spend the limit. To do this, simply go to the tab Additional Features. We need to change Upper Limit GPU and RAM checking method 2 in the case of an oc air. If it is for a bench in the cold, and therefore a large frequency, if you set limits too high, there will be problems to address this, it will increase the frequency default at the same time.

This does not always work, but it's worth trying.

Radeon Bios Editor Additional Features Tab

Editing nVidia BIOS using NIBITOR (nVidia Bios Editor)

Editing nVidia BIOS using NIBITOR (nVidia Bios Editor)

There are several tabs, which vary depending on the card.

The first, clock rates, the frequency. In my case (one 8800GTS 512), there is no difference between 2D/3D, but it does not matter. Indeed, it is possible to solve, and if the card has already 2D/3D profiles, they are the ones that will change accordingly, and not the other two.

nVidia Bios Editor Clockrates Tab

Clarification anyway, when you set the frequency, make sure they are accepted by the graphics card. To do this, the best is yet to test fly a Windows (with ATITool, for example). 3D for frequencies, use and run a benchmark, or a game, and make sure it is stable, it's even better. For 2D frequencies, use them, and let your computer turn 2D (so it seems normal). If there is no blinking, or other crash, it seems good. To save energy, it is better to lower the GPU, which consumes far more than the RAM.

Clocks Bootup the button to change frequencies boot the card, but there is no need to touch them (except possibly a clock in LN2 and seek victory 5MHz).

Voltages tab is clear, this is to change the tension of the card. On the one hand it is not always available, and on the other hand, even when it is available, sometimes it has no effect. This parameter is more sensitive and reserved for more experienced: a low voltage can save energy, but if it is too low, you can have bugs. Similarly, the increase can be dangerous.

nVidia Bios Editor Voltages Tab

Advanced Info is used to change the Sub vendor ID and Video Card ID (among others), but it will not change the perfs, the only difference will that GPU Z (or another soft detection GPU) will show you what ask here. The risk is that the drivers are installed wrong.

nVidia Bios Editor Advanced Info Tab

Timings tab is used to change the timings of the ram, but it is pretty useless as complicated and it does gains if it is at the end of the map and has sought to win 10points plus a 3DM06. The values are shown in hexadecimal.

nVidia Bios Editor Timings Tab

In the Temperatures tab, you will be able to resolve the management of the fan according to temperature. To do this, click Fanspeed IC.

Two possibilities in this case: Automatic Speed or Dynamic Speed. The second option is the same as the first with a few settings to refine it. Fixed Speed option is not available, but on the one hand it is quite unhelpful, and moreover it is possible to achieve the same result with the two options available.

nVidia Bios Editor Temperatures Tab

But before I explain how I will explain the relevance of this.

More and more cards are profiles ventilation based silence. It is purely marketing, it allows us to say that the card is no noise in 2D. It's interesting but not hot shot it bad, and maps such as hot in 4850 are 2D! In the same way, in order to have a silent card in 90% of cases, the fan is triggered only when the card is ready to overheat in this way ... it's quiet even in 3D, but at a temperature often too high.

The aim will be to keep the card quietest possible in 2D, and not to do too much heat in 3D.

So, start by sorting the stolen Windows fan of the map, and note the time the fan started making noise. Usually it was around 30-40%. Then, enter the value found in the box min Duty Cycle.

For ventilation is effective and determined, we need the fan goes off when it starts heating. The challenge will be to ensure that it does not fire too soon, otherwise we will have a phenomenon similar to that of 4870: fan blowing hard sometimes 2D. And if we rule wrong, the fan will not fire and heat map too.

Start by setting the maximum temperature you want TCrit not be exceeded. Note that a modern GPU cash easily more than 100 ° C, but for my part, I do not go beyond 80-85 ° C. Then, determine the temperature of the 2D map (but with a maximum speed of the fan). In my case, it is about 50 ° C in 2D. So I go back 10 ° C above (60 °) in the case TMin. Thus, below this value will be the fan noise, and above, it will start to blow.

The TRange Slope can adjust the progression of the increased fan speed. The best thing is to ensure that the fan reaches 100% under the max.

THyst can refine a little adjustment. Indeed, if one fan said to occur above 60 ° and stop below, it may play the yoyo. So you can tell him to trigger a 60 ° and 55 ° stop settling THyst of 5 degrees. The setting is the same 100%, i.e. the fan will be a 100% until the temperature of not less than 5 degrees from the desired temperature.

Option Dynamic Speed can be sure that the card does not heat up too. Indeed, if the card too hot, the minimum temperature is temporarily increased to increase the fan speed. This change will occur if the temperature exceeds the card entry into the case TOperating.

The best setting in my view this is a set temperature 5 degrees above TCrit, set a 15 ° TLow above TMin and Thigh 15 ° above TCrit. But these settings are optional, automatic mode is perfect.

Last setting fan: ramp rate. In order not to increase from 25% to 100% of the fan speed, as some have extremely sensitive ears, it is possible to spread the increase over a period variable. For example 30 seconds. In this way, the map to 30s before reaching its cruising temperature.

If in doubt, see the description in the box at the bottom, it explains everything.

Last tab: Boot settings

Rather it is a gimmick to me, as it allows you to edit the post in the graphics card to boot the PC, but it will not change the perfs. I leave you to search the inside, it's very simple.

nVidia Bios Editor Boot Settings Tab

Flashing ATI Graphic Card BIOS

Step 3: Flashing with the new bios

Again two ways. Flashing by Windows or DOS. In either case, make sure your PC is stable because it does not plant during the flashing under penalty of corrupting the chip that stores the bios. Where appropriate, we should find another graphics card and a PC repair stable nonsense!

Flashing on Windows (only ATI)

The flash on Windows is simple: you open the software (ATI Winflash for example, but I do not know of software for nVidia equivalent), you open the bios and click on flash/program. You wait and it's good, just reboot. Do not worry if the screen is freezing, this is normal. It takes a good minute or two depending on the size of the bios.

Note: You can use the functions of the atiflash to force the flash (-f). Right-click the shortcut winflash, and the target line, you add the command line.

Flashing DOS

In the case of a flash in DOS, you need a bootable MS DOS utility and flash the bios, just copy everything to the root. Thereafter, the method is the same as either a floppy or USB stick.

DOS Tips:
    • To know the content of the medium (in this case, the floppy A: ), type the command A:\dir. This will serve you if you do not remember the names of files.
    • Press the right arrow retype the command. It is very useful because often repeat the same operation.

Flashing ATI

To run the software, simply type the name of the executable, eg A:\atiflash.exe. The application starts and displays a list of commands that takes into several pages. Browse these commands quickly as some that I will not here, are very convenient. You can view them again in the future by re-enforcement.

Press Enter until you find your good old command line.

There you'll have to say that you want to flash, specify with whom and what. You can choose between the-p (Program) and -pa (All Program). I advise you to use the first, even if you only have one card plugged. It avoids a lot of problems.

So we must specify what device you want to flash. If you have a card, the device 0 so it's easy, if you have several, use the command -pcie (or -pci in the case of PCI) or A:\atiflash.exe -pcie.

Having identified your card, you must know the name of the bios. If you have not written on paper, use the dir command that will display a list of files in the floppy.

In my case, I flashed a 2900XT with a R600oc.bin bios.

Here is the command type: A:\atiflash.exe -p <Number> <Name of bios>
    In my case, it was: A:\atiflash.exe -p 0 R600oc

Note that we should not add *.bin or *.rom at the end of the name of the bios.

That's it, you've flashed your ATI.

Flashing nVidia Graphic Card BIOS

Flashing nVidia

To run the software, simply type the name of the executable, eg A:\nvflash.exe. The application starts and displays a list of commands that takes into several pages. Browse these commands quickly as some that I will not here, are very convenient. You can view them again in the future by re-enforcement.

Press Enter until you find your good old command line.

There you'll have to say that you want to flash, and the name of the bios.

In my case, I flashed a 7900GTO with G71oc.bin bios.

Here is the command type: A:\nvflash.exe --<Name of bios>
    In my case, it was: A:\nvflash.exe G71oc.bin

Note that you must clear the extension of the image of the bios.

Press y to confirm the exposure.

That's it, you've flashed your nVidia.