Thread: To create multiple-boot system in windows XP

To create multiple-boot system in windows XP

To create multiple-boot system in windows Xp

You can install more than one operating system on your computer and choose which operating system you want to use every time you start your computer. This is often called a dual-boot or multiple-boot configuration

Reformatting and Repairing the Hard Disk

You may need to reformat and repartition your hard disk in following conditions:
    * You have only one volume:
    - You have to install each operating system on a separate volume of your computer so that each installation can retain its own files and configuration information.

* The boot partition is not formatted with the correct file system:

Precautions

* Before creating a multiple-boot configuration with Windows XP and another operating system, review the following precautions:
    Before attempting to create a multiple-boot system, be sure to back up your current system and all data files.

* Each operating system must be installed on a separate volume. Microsoft does not support installing multiple operating systems on the same volume.

* If you have only one volume on your computer, you have to reformat and repartition your hard disk to contain multiple volumes before you begin creating a multiple-boot configuration, unless you are simply installing another copy of Windows XP.

* Do not install Windows XP on a compressed drive that was not compressed using the NTFS compression utility.

* You have to use a different computer name for each operating system if the computer is on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP secure domain.

* Install the operating systems in the following order:
    - MS-DOS
    - Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me
    - Windows NT
    - Windows 2000
    - Windows XP

To Create a Multiple-Boot System with Windows XP and MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me

Note You can only install a single instance of Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me in a multiple-boot configuration. You cannot configure a computer to multiple-boot Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me because each of these platforms use the same boot file.

You have to install Windows XP only after installing MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me to prevent these operating systems from overwriting the Windows XP boot sector and the Windows XP startup files.

To create a multiple-boot system with Windows XP and MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me:
    1. Ensure that your hard disk is formatted with the correct file system.
    2. Install the multiple operating systems into separate volumes, in the following order: MS-DOS; Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me; and then Windows XP.
    3. Do one of the following:
    • If you want a multiple-boot system with MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me along with Windows XP, install MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me, and then install Windows XP.
    • If you want a dual-boot system with Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me, along with Windows XP, you should install either Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me, and then install Windows XP.
    Install each operating system according to the standard installation procedure.

Installing Programs on More Than One Operating System

If you are installing programs on more than one operating system, you have to treat each operating system as a separate entity. Any programs and drivers that you want to use must be installed under each operating system under which you want to use it. For example, if you want to use Microsoft Word on the same computer under both Windows 98 and Windows XP, you have to start Windows 98 and install Microsoft Word, and then, you have to restart your computer under Windows XP and reinstall Microsoft Word.

Specifying the Default Operating System for Startup

If you have more than one operating system on your computer, you can set the operating system that you want to use as the default one for when you start your computer:
    • Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
    • On the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
    • Under System startup, in the Default operating system list, click the operating system that you want to start when you turn on or restart your computer.
    • Select the Display list of operating systems for check box, and then type the number of seconds for which you want the list displayed before the default operating system starts automatically.

Troubleshooting

• When you start Microsoft Internet Explorer, Explorer may quit and you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
    iexplore caused an Invalid Page Fault in module kernel32.dll
    This error may occur if you install multiple operating systems on a single volume.

To resolve this issue, install each operating system on a separate volume.
    • You cannot configure your computer to start both Windows 95 and Windows 98 (or Windows Me).

You cannot configure a computer to multiple boot Windows 95 and Windows 98 (or Windows Me) because these platforms use the same boot file. Therefore, multiple booting Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows Me at the same time is not supported.
    • When you start your computer, the boot menu does not appear and you are unable to start Windows XP.

This issue may occur if you install Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows Me after you install Windows XP.

To resolve this issue, repair, or reinstall Windows XP.

Thanks Modifire This is really anice guide for noobs like me to understand multiple boot system on windows XP!
    Thanks again!