Thread: The Cost of Education in India keeps getting higher

The Cost of Education in India keeps getting higher

I was born in 1981 and I had completed my school and college in year 2002. Now after 6 years when I became dad and I had to think about education of my daughter, I visited various schools for getting information about education and the pre-primary schools. After enquiring about the schools in various area and many schools, I was surprised to know that cost of education has increased more than double since I graduated. I mean it is education and it is everybody’s right, how can it become so expensive. Now that I am a common man and I have enough money to admit my daughter in a well known school, I got proper admission. But I was thinking that if the price of education keeps rising so high in India, then one time might come when only millionaires will be able to send their children t school. What do other people think about it?

Re: The Cost of Education in India keeps getting higher

I know that the price of education has gone too high in India and there is no stopping it. One reason on which can blame this is the over population in our country. With so many children born every year, the demand for education too is rising high. Everybody from a family who doesn’t have a home to a billionaire wants their children to get education. So you must have noticed that number of schools have also increased in recent days.

In my days, we just had three to four schools in our locality and nearby areas, but now there around 10 schools and also some colleges. The price of education has also raised because everybody knows that after a child is born, the first important thing for parents is naming him and second important thing is to admit him/her in a school.

Education is a big scam in India. If you get high scores and study in a good university then its okay otherwise you will have to shell out insane amounts of money on education. Education now is simply a waste of time. I learnt more from the internet than college.

The people who run the schools have also realized this development and thus they have started developing new schools and adding various different courses in it. I was born in 1990 and the only board we knew was SSC and HSC board, which is state level education board and University level. But now, there are some other boards where parents want their children to enter. I don’t know what’s so big deal about studying in International Board or Central Board. This has lead to rise in price as they know that the higher the level of education, the higher price parents will spend on their children. Also nowadays parents want their children to become all rounder, that is excel in Studies, Sports, Music, Dancing and god knows what. Schools have realized this and thus they increase the rate of their courses by including these extra-curricular activities in their portions.

Not just school education has become expensive but also the higher education, that is graduation, post graduation and other courses have become expensive. The fees of some colleges are so high that it becomes difficult for a common man to afford the fees. I know many friends who have taken education loans for purpose of their child’s study as the colleges have become expensive. The post graduation courses too are so high that many times, people are left with no option other than getting education loans. Also there are so many diploma and certificate courses that are needed to be done along with the main education that cost of child’s education increases due to it. Also there are many entrance exams and that one must apply to get good education and job that again admission and education for these exams increase the cost of education.

I blame the large number of coaching classes that have sprung up in such a large number nowadays for the steep rise in education. I am not trying to offend someone or to speak anything against each other, but the fact is that a wrong mindset has been created by these coaching classes in minds of children and parents. The coaching classes put up large hoarding with pictures of toppers from their classes on the streets and in all area. This creates an illusion that whoever learns the specific course from classes always tops the exams. This leads to create a mentality that a student going in specific classes can score better than one who doesn’t go. Thus parents spend large amount of money on his child to get him in admission in classes along with college.

I blame the large number of coaching classes that have sprung up in such a large number nowadays for the steep rise in education.
    I too agree that coaching classes are one of the reasons for increase in cost of education. In my time when I was young, we too had such studies. It wasn’t that we had easy portion that what it is today. We too had various competitive and entrance exams. But we never took a lot of pressure about them. I never attended any classes for it. I studied for them myself and then whatever the result maybe I would accept and agree to it. But nowadays, it seems like fashion that if one gets into engineering than he is intelligent than others. Students desperately try to get into engineering colleges and parents back them in this. People who run colleges and educational institutes know this and thus they increase the price of admission leading to steep rise in price of education.

Government of India has tried a lot to curb the increasing prices of the education; they have tried many ways to do it. But they haven’t found complete success. One of such moves I liked is the centralized system for admission of First year of Junior college by Maharashtra Board. I don’t know who used the same system or who developed, but it is the best way to give equal and proper education to maximum students that study under them. They give a user ID and password at a fixed reasonable price to students who have passed 10th standard under them and using it student can choose some 35 colleges. The details of parent’s financial condition and some other details are submitted by schools to the board. So according to it, the board properly allocates colleges according to the marks and financial condition to properly distribute the students properly.

I too agree that Indian government has tried many ways to impart knowledge to poor as well as to children from well to do families at less price. But the rate of competition that is going on in educational field again brings in the price rise in the education of the child. Also government can curb the price of education that comes under it or maybe some other fields that are indirectly under them. But when it comes to private courses or foreign courses, the price again rises. To add to it, there are so many taxes that government implies, it raises the price of the education to a higher level. I think that the intense competition to bring out all rounder students out in the market has raised the price of education.

Quote Originally Posted by Career-Minded View Post
    The coaching classes put up large hoarding with pictures of toppers from their classes on the streets and in all area. This creates an illusion that whoever learns the specific course from classes always tops the exams. This leads to create a mentality that a student going in specific classes can score better than one who doesn’t go. Thus parents spend large amount of money on his child to get him in admission in classes along with college.
    As mentioned by Chetan Bhagat in his book ‘Revolution 2020’, Coaching classes show top marks of 10students from their classes, but they don’t show that they had admitted 1000 students in that same batch. So 10 out of 1000 students at top level is not an identity of classes’ success.

I too think that somewhere the great competition that is going on in society to achieve highest degree possible is given rise to price of education in India. Government should try to reduce this competition so that education might become somewhat affordable. Hope we won’t see the old days where only children of Kings and influential families would be the one to get education.