Thread: Career in Mechanical Engineering in India

Career in Mechanical Engineering in India

I am currently studying in F.Y.B.Sc. I.T. Last year I had tried for engineering courses, but due to inadequate makes in entrance test I couldn’t apply for engineering courses. This year I am again attempting the entrance test I am confident of acquiring enough marks to gain admission for engineering courses. My interest lies in Mechanical engineering. Can anybody tell me about Mechanical engineering? Which colleges should I try for Mechanical engineering?

Re: Career in Mechanical Engineering in India

Mechanical engineering is the branch of engineering that deals with principles of physics and material science for designing, analyzing, developing and maintaining mechanical components. This field involves use of mechanical skills and heat for operation and development of machines and tools. It is one of the oldest branches of engineering. Mechanical engineers can work on many things like fax machine, motor bikes, cars, aircraft & powerplant.

The mechanical engineering creates a solid base of knowledge in mind of person for professional engineering practice and study in mechanical engineering field. The intention of this course is to develop student’s ability to apply scientific methods in designing and evaluation of mechanical systems. The students are trained using challenging design problem to help them develop ability to solve such problems in real life.

The course includes design, operation, maintenance & analysis of machines and their components, mechanical tools, power system in the machines, solar energy, heat energy, wind energy and many more. Along with the basic science, mechanical engineering also trains student in design, analysis, manufacture & operation of complex mechanical machinery like prime movers, pumps, compressors, machine tools, mass production technique etc.

Mechanical engineers are always part of staff in many organizations. The type of work that an mechanical engineer has to undertake depends on the type of company he/she is working for. In India, mechanical engineers are needed in both public and private sectors. Due to steep rise in industrial sector in India, need of Mechanical engineers has also steeply increased. Every company that has manufacturing and production unit needs mechanical engineer for smooth operation f their mechanical units.

Using your knowledge of mechanical engineering you can specialize in one of the many fields related to Mechanical engineering. You can specialize in field of robotics. In robotics you have to combine electric systems with mechanical systems with combination of softwares to produce an automated hybrid unit that can perform certain tasks automatically without any human assistance or involvement. One can also specialize in field of Thermodynamics. This field deals with chemical engineering along with Mechanical engineering. It studies the conversion of energy from one form to another as it passes through the machine.

There are many other fields that are part of mechanical engineering in which one can specialize. Micro electro-mechanical systems (MEMS) is a field that specializes in study of springs, gears, fluids and heat transfer devices. It also include study of material like silicon, polymers and glass. Person specialized in this field can work for enterprises producing accelerometer, airbag sensors for vehicles and micro fluidic devices. You can also specialize in Nanotechnology. It involves tasks involving molecular assembly.

Some of the best institutes in India providing courses in Mechanical engineering are,
    • IIT ROORKEE
    • IIT KHARAGPUR
    • IIT KANPUR
    • IIT BOMBAY
    • IIT DELHI
    • IIT MADRAS
    • Birla Institute of Technology & Science
    • Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University
    • IIT Guwahati
    • IIT Allahabad
    • College of Engineering, Anna University
    • National Institute of Technology