Thread: Career in Electrical and Electronic engineering in India

Career in Electrical and Electronic engineering in India

I am currently pursuing Diploma in Electrical engineering. I am now in my last semester. After I finish with my diploma, I want to apply for full time engineering degree course in electronics or related field. I wanted to ask what is the scope of electronic and electrical engineering in India. Can anyone recommend me some colleges that provide such courses?

Re: Career in Electrical and Electronic engineering in India

Electrical engineering is that type of engineering which deals with study and application of electricity, electronic & electromagnetism. Electronic engineering is part of Electrical engineering. In India, both are part of a single course. But in some foreign countries like U.S.A. and Canada both are recognized as different courses. Electrical engineering deals with subjects that teach utilization of electricity to generate energy. Electronic engineering deals with utilization of electricity to process information.

After pursuing engineering degree in electrical and electronic engineering, one can achieve jobs in public sector as well as private sector of India. One can join enterprises dealing with manufacture, design and application of electronic devices and equipments. They can also work for enterprises dealing with radio & Television transmission. Also fields dealing with radar system and other navigation aids are open for them. One can also work on computer peripherals and process control of a computer.

Electrical engineering covers areas like transmission, distribution, generation & utilization of electricity over many other fields. In India, the course is closely related to computation, neural system, applied dynamic science, computer science, applied physics and so on. A student pursuing such course will study subjects related to wireless system, modern optics, solid state materials and devices, quantum physics, control theory, data compression and communication, signal processing and many more. Students will study these subjects theoretically as well as practically.

If closely seen, the whole course focuses on deep understanding of electrical networks and devices. The course that you are searching for is called B.E./B.Tech. It deals with electromagnetic field theory and computer science. It covers many devices that need electricity to operate. You will be trained to design electrical circuits and components like computer chips and integrated components. With increase in audio and video required in many fields, the need of electrical engineers has increased.

Person who specializes in electronic engineering has to deal with equipments which require a very minute amount of electric energy. So they deal with microprocessors, fiber-optics, etc. They also have to deal with microwaves, radio waves and light waves. They also can work on automated systems used in aircrafts and autopilot systems.

If observed, current scenario demands for electrical engineers in large numbers. They are required to deal with the microwave oven in our homes, computers require in business & large machinery in manufacturing companies. Electrical engineers are required in robotics, biomedical engineering, signal processing, transportation, electromechanical energy. It would be of advantage if you can obtain knowledge from field of I.T. and computer science. It will increase the chances of good career.

Using your knowledge about electrical engineering you can also specialize in Signal Processing. It too has good scope as use of wireless and remote devices has greatly increased. The person studying this will study the behavior of signals using the mathematical and technical knowledge he/she gains. You will be involved with research on speech processing, image processing, radar and sonar technology, softwares using radio waves and related protocols and networks.

I too am trying to get admission for electrical and electronic engineering course. Till now I have research about some colleges whose names I can share with you. You can try here for admission.
    1. R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore
    2. P.E.S. Institute of Technology, Bangalore
    3. M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Tech, Bangalore
    4. S.E.A. College of Engineering & Technology, Bangalore
    5. B.M.S College of Engineering, Bull Temple Road, Bangalore
    6. Bangalore Institute of Technology, Bangalore
    7. Sir M. Visvewsvaraya Institute of Technology, Bangalore
    8. Dayanand Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore
    9. R.N.S. Institute of Technology, Bangalore
    10. B.N.M. Institute of Technology, Bangalore