Thread: PhD in psychology after MSc in psychology

PhD in psychology after MSc in psychology

I am pursuing masters degree course in counseling psychology. I am in the last semester of it. After I finish with it, I want to apply for PhD in psychology, can anyone tell me what does PhD course include and its purpose. Also can anyone tell me how to apply and which institute provides this education?

Re: PhD in psychology after MSc in psychology

The counseling psychology program is meant to prepare next generation of professionals in psychology. The course emphasizes the scientist-practitioner training model emphasizing a developmental-contextual perspective with a commitment to social justice, multicultural education, and community-based training. This course trains the students for position of counseling psychologist which requires them to utilize their scientific and clinical skills for problems in mental health institute.

To apply for PhD courses, you need to pass the NET exam. This exam takes place in month of June and in month of December. The notifications regarding the exam in December come in September. Once passed the exam with a good score, the Government of India provides you with authorized remission as junior research fellowship. Another requirement other than NET exam is that of having minimum of 55% of marks in Masters Degree.

Passing the NET exam provide a person with authorized remission as junior research fellowship. It is conducted for subjects like Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Earth Atmospheric Ocean & Planetary Sciences. The results of exam conducted in June are declared in October and that of December are declared in April.

A doctorate courses are much advanced degree; it takes time to complete it. Depending on the course and institute, sometimes it may take up to 4 to 8 years to complete the course. You might even need to do internship for a period of a year or maybe more. It is better if you do the course by getting loan from bank for financial aid.

Some of the institutes that offer PhD degree in India are,
    1] Gurunanak Dev University, Amritsar (Punjab)
    Amritsar (Amritsar Dist.)
    2] Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed College for women (JBAS College), Chennai (Tamil Nadu)
    No.56, K.B. Dasan Road, College Avenue, Anna Salai, Teynampet , Chennai (Chennai Dist.) - 600 018
    3] M.S. (Maharaja Sayajirao) University of Baroda: Faculty of Education and Psychology, Vadodara (Gujarat)
    4] The M.S.University of Baroda, Station Road, Sayajiganj , Vadodara (Vadodara (Baroda) Dist.) - 390002
    5] Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar (Gujarat)
    Vallabh Vidyanagar (Anand Dist.) - 388120
    6] University of Calcutta, Kolkata (West Bengal)
    Senate House, 87 /1 College Street, Kolkata (Kolkata Dist.) - 700073
    7] University of Delhi, New Delhi (Delhi)
    South Campus, Benito Juarez Marg , New Delhi (Delhi) – 110007

When I was applying for PhD course in psychology, I had applied for this institutes,
    • Jadavpur University, Kolkata
    • Delhi University
    • University of Madras
    • University of Calcutta
    • Kannur University
    • Jamia Milia Islamia University
    • University of Mumbai
    • Educational Psychology
    • Varkatullah Viswavidyalaya, Bhopal
    • Himachal Pradesh University

You should also apply for the psychology course in Christ College, Bangalore ; Max Health Care Institutes;St. Stephen’s College, Delhi ;St Xaviers College, Mumbai ; Birla Institue of Techonology, Pilani ; University of Pune ; Women's Christian College. Chennai; Punjab University; Tata Institute of Social Sciences and Kalayani University.

You can research on this institutes too, they too have psychology courses that you might be interested in.
    i) Bundelkhand University, Jhansi
    ii) Presidency College,Kolkata
    iii) Fergusson College, Pune
    iv) St Joseph's College Bangalore
    v) Hansraj College, Delhi
    vi) Bhim Rao Ambedkar College
    vii) Deen Dayal Upadhay College,Delhi
    viii) Bhavans College, Mumbai