Thread: How to handle employee's behaviour ?

How to handle employee's behaviour ?

I am a supervisor in a company that manufactures tyre . I have newly joined this company and do not have much of experience before as being a supervisor, because prior to this I used to work for a small firm. But here there is a huge number of employees working over there and I am being posted to manage their work. I am a bit scared because I am not used to control such a big number , I know I have got talent and skills that is why I am being selected for these purpose, but since it is my first experience I need to know how I can handle the behavior of employees and workers working under me, you are most welcome to share your experience on this subject. It would be more helpful if supervisors in particular reply to this query?

Re: How to handle employee's behaviour ?

I completed my graduation 10 years back then I opted for MBA and got enrolled in a reputed college. I have been working as a supervisor for Larson and Toubro. You did not mention your education qualification , but since you have been selected for a supervisory post at a very young age, it seems you must have done MBA from a very reputed institute IIMA or Symbiosis Pune and must have scored excellent scores in your academic career. So now you are a supervisor and should possess excellent command on your language while you interact with your employee. There are golden words that states "you do not demand respect but you earn it". So you should definitely use your skills to achieve reputation as being a supervisor. Do not worry my friend you will be all right, you are not the only man working at higher but there are a lot that work along with you and and above your level. So they will guide you and give you inputs wherever you are not comfortable , but you will have to do your part i.e work hard and do not hesitate to ask any question, you think you are weak at. Just give your best and success will follow you as your own shadow does.

I did not understand your question completely. Do you want to control the employee's behavior while conducting a an appraisal ? If yes I can help you on that , before you control you should first judge them and their behavior calmly. You can welcome them , when they come and let them start their work. observe there work and prepare notes wherever required. Sharpen your listening skills and maintain nice posture that attract attention. Summarize each and every thing your employee says you to ensure that you have understood each and every thing properly.

Well said, those really are the effective points but if you ask me you missed out few more key points. While your employees ask you any question do not interrupt or obstruct him in between, first listen him completely so that you can prepare notes on that. Once he has done with his clarification then you can ask him questions. Let the employee speak much you should not talk to much, his part should be 90% and your should be 10%. Compare the ideas shared by different employee on a particular matter then judge then merit them according to their performance. Once you have rank them set goals and tasks and the expectations as well accordion to the rank. Discuss all the plans with them and at the end you can summarize in brief whatever you covered in the whole session. All the Best for a bight future.