Thread: How to apply for an F-1 Visa for US

How to apply for an F-1 Visa for US

If you want to study in the United States, you should begin by sending an application to U.S. universities approved by the Immigration and Naturalization Services. When the university admits you, it sends you an immigration form called the I-20. This form indicates your field of study (major). The duration of your course, and the date on which you must report to the university. This form I-20 leads in the student visa known as the F-1.

You are not allowed to apply for an F-1 visa directly. Any US university must sponsor an F-1 petition for you. See below for the Basic Requirements for obtaining the F-1 Visa for US.

Basic Requirements for obtaining the F-1 Visa for US

Basic Requirements for obtaining the F-1 Visa for US

To be eligible for an F-1 Visa:
    • You must have completed the required course of study before applying for the program. You must also be proficient in the English language (with the following exceptions).

• You intend to come to the U.S. to participate in an English training program.

• The school/university has made special arrangements to teach you English or teach courses in your native language.

• You must prove that identifiable funds are available to pay all expenses incurred while studying in the US; The school/university must provide you the form I-20 AB.

What documents do I require?

Required Documentation (to be presented at the consulate when you go to the consulate for obtaining the visa):
    • Non-refundable $45 application fee (subject to change);

• Form OF-156, completed and signed (available at the Consulate/Embassy);

• Passport valid for at least six months beyond end of intended stay;

• One photograph 1" square;

• Form I-20 A-B (from school/university);

• Evidence of sufficient funds;

• Evidence of ties to a resident in a foreign country; and

• A statement/promise that the student will depart the US when they have completed their studies.

Re: How to apply for an F-1 Visa for US

How long does to obtain an F-1 Visa?

The length of time varies from country to country. While some consulates take only a day or two to issue an F-1 Visa, other consulates may take considerably longer depending upon the workload, size of consular staff and even the time of the year.

What legal obligations do I have to fulfill after entering the United States?

An airline flight attendant will ask you to complete the I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) in the airplane before you land at the U.S. port of entry. You will present the I-94 form and your passport to the immigration inspector when you land. The immigration inspector will stamp the I-94 form with "D/S" (duration of status). "D/S" means that you may stay in the U.S. until you complete your studies. You should keep the I-94 form with your passport at all times.

What are your obligations as a student on an F-1 visa?

Students on an F-1 visa must follow the regulations of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS). According to these regulations, you must register for classes at the university, which issued the I-20, and be enrolled as a full-time student while you are in the U.S.A. follow the required procedures before working off-campus request assistance from your foreign student advisor if you wish to transfer from one university to another.

What is the approved length of stay on an F-1 visa?

Your I-20 document indicates the length of time you can stay to finish your course of studies. The U.S. Government takes a generous position toward students who are enrolled full time in a U.S. university. You are permitted to stay until your studies are finished.

Working at the University while on F-1 Visa

Some universities offer on campus employment and no permission is required to apply for an on campus employment. However, you may be allowed to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week during academic sessions and full time during vacation periods.

Working off campus while on F-1 Visa

You may be allowed to work off campus after fulfilling the following requirements:
    • You must be a full-time student in the U.S. for at least one academic year (9 months) before requesting permission to work off campus.

• Both you and the employer must complete certain forms. These forms may be obtained from your foreign student advisor.

While school is in session, you may work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week. During vacation periods, you may work full-time (40 hours per week).

On completion of your education in United States

You will have up to 60 days after you finish your degree requirements to leave the U.S. You may stay longer if you begin another degree program and thereby seek an extension of F-1 for the new program of study or apply for the optional practical training program.

For more information on F1 Visa... Visit this... http://forums.techarena.in/education...ob/1129481.htm

hi Engg ,
    first thx for your topic its really helpful
    but ive a question :
    I want to finish my last years of high school in usa because Universities in the US definitely prefer American high school diplomas.
    so my problem is that ive to go this summer but i dont have a Passport valid for 2 months
    what can i do ?

Passport problem is not related to this. For extending passport validity, you have to go to the passport office. Without passport validation, your visa will not be granted.

I didn't get this part clearly "extending passport validity"
    if i apply for a passport now and after 3 months for example i decide to apply for F-1 visa , the passport will be valid for 3 months only when they say it have to be valid for 6 , can this office extend this validity to 6 months ?? how ?

You don't have to worry. Your passport needs to be valid for six months beyond the visa application date. I also had the same problem and got it clarified by the US consulate. I e-mailed the US Visa consulate and they replied..
    If you are eligible to be granted an F1 visa it will be issued for the required validity irrespective of the validity of your Indian Passport. If your Passport expires before your F1 visa, all that you would need to do is attach your old Passport (containing the valid F1 visa) along with your new Passport and travel/reside within the US.
    Hope this helps...