Thread: java or dot net?

java or dot net?

Hi,
    I know C++!
    Now I am confused betweeen JAVA & .NET!
    Which to go for?
    Any help?

personally, i would go for java..
    its because i do not need any more language to build those web applets ang mobile applications. As essentially if you do need to develop for the .net framework in the future you could use C++ .net which is similar to native c++ anyway.

For web development , dotNet is the best.....
    Java is heavily used throughout the industry. It is now open source so does not depend on Sun alone anymore.
    Advantage of Java is that it can run anywhere while Microsoft stuff only runs on MS systems.

There are less job opportunities for Java now if you aren't experienced in it for 2-3 years since Java has been there for 13 years and companies can choose from a huge pool of java programmers. Also Java projects are bigger in terms of monetary value. On the other hand there are more opportunities for freshers in .Net since it's a comparatively newer technology (6 years old) and it's used for web front ends which don't necessarily require extensive experience or qualifications.

Hi daivik,

Is there any pre-requisite necessary for .net. I am not at all in programming but planning to go for any such web related programming. I was knowing that .net is better. But I wonder whether I will be able to understand the training given that I do not have any basic software knowledge like C, VB...

Well that's a quite nice point there!
    As a fresher in .net there are good opportunities! Cool!
    Thanks for replying me guys!
    Any more thoughts?

Rumaine,
    You don't need to know any programming prior to learning .Net based languages like VB.Net and C#.net. You can start learning programming through these languages only if you are really willing to learn.

Oh thats great Daivik. I am really willing to learn such a web related programming language. Now my friend told me about PHP. He said both PHP and .NET are good and I can go for any one. What do you think?

Thanks for the guidance

Thanks a lot for your suggestion daivik!
    But still cant decide whether to go for java or dot net?
    What will be easy? I mean interesting?

sa07urabh Guest
    I think you should go for java as it is latest and even dot net is good but as microsoft guys are always greedy so to work on windows server is not pretty good for all web hosting companies

Re: java or dot net?

Hi Daivik,

I like Programming & am in my 1st Semester of my MCA course.

My MCA course does not include much on JAVA or .NET. Will you please tell me whether I should go for these courses from a separate institution to further my job prospects or should I just stick to my MCA course syllabus ? My MCA course though has an Industrial training in the last semester where I have to do a short project in a company using one of the latest technologies in the market.

I don't have any knowledge about JAVA but I know C, C++, Visual Basic 6, SQL & Oracle 9i. So, which would be worth-while - JAVA or .NET ?

Thanks.

Dude,

I think you must do what you like. Some quotes for you.
    “Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.”
    Learn what you like.

I hope you got your answer.
    IF YOU CAN'T Convince THEM ...

CONFUSE THEM ...

Hi...
    So you have confusion between Java and .Net.Don't get worried,in is a very common confusion.So if you want to go further for web designing,then as per my point of view .Net is the better option then Java.Of course java is also use in so many companies,though it is very convenient to work with >net technology.Thank you for sharing the post...

jainsumit456 Guest

if you wants to make a desktop application then i will suggest that you have to go with .net . Because in .net you can made rich and effective desktop based application...

but you want to go in web or mobile application you have to go with java. because java is pretty rich as compare to .net. and strongest point is Platform Independence.......

Thanks for your suggestion, Sumit.

Thanks...