Thread: unable to update Nook HD ebook reader

unable to update Nook HD ebook reader

I am owning a Nook HD ebook reader and I mostly use to play games like Words with Friends as well as sometimes reading. But when I launch this game then it keeps telling to update the device and upon going to Google store for getting the new version it says that it is not compatible with my ereader. Is there anyone who can tell me step by step guide to upgrade or root my Nook HD? Thanks for any help in advance.

Re: unable to update Nook HD ebook reader

If you have the first edition of Nook HD ebook reader then note that Barnes and Noble have already stopped any more updates to their operating system. The latest apps of android which are developed for recent versions of Android OS will not be backward compatible with older Android OS versions. Also, even if you root your device then the stock ROM will not update its base Android OS version to a newer one as well. But still you can get the new Android OS for your Nook HD by using the third party custom ROMs like CyanogenMod.

Yes, you can try to root your device to add or modify the operating system files that will be able to enable or unlock the Super User priviledge that will allow you to change the device settings and to install latest version of apps that are not getting installed. By rooting the device, the tool that you will use will also add different apps for getting started which are absent in the stock ROM, like the Google Playstore, email, etc.

I would first of all recommend you to try running the CyanogenMod 11 on an external microSD card to test if you like the custom ROM before you can decide to flash it into the Nook HD ebook reader's internal memory to replace the whole stock ROM. You can easily find the CyanogenMod 11 image file from the XDA developer website as well as all the instructions on how to install it properly in your device.