Thread: How to reset Vocabulary builder in Kindle Paperwhite

How to reset Vocabulary builder in Kindle Paperwhite

I am using Kindle Paperwhite ebook reader for quite some time and it is working great for me. The annoying issue that I am facing is that I have got almost more than 2 hundred words saved in the Vocabulary builder and I am looking for a way to reset it once and for all. I can easily try to master all the words one at a time but it will take too much time and is really painful. So, if anyone knows a simple way on how to do this then it would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: How to reset Vocabulary builder in Kindle Paperwhite

I dont think that you will be able to delete words from it. But I guess that you will able to do that only one by one. I agree that it will be quite hectic to delete more than two hundred words which is not quite easy. I also checked with the Amazon team and they said that it is only possible to remove words one by one or else use the Factory reset. But that will also remove all the data. However, you can still try to backup important data and then proceed to factory reset.

It usually takes for me only 1 second to delete 1 single word from my Kindle ebook reader. I am also having more than 200 words or so and I usually delete them from time to time when I have mastered them. For me it usually takes around 3-4 minutes to delete all the words and it is not that difficult to delete them at all from your ereader. Also, even if you do a factory reset then also it will not delete all the words from the Vocabulary Builder because they are usually stored on the Amazon's servers.

Can you go into this directory - /system/vocabulary/vocab.db and alter the vocab.db file. If you try to remove it then it will be again downloaded from Amazon but if you alter db file then after a restart it will delete the words. To alter db, you have to use the below command lines:
    • sqlite3 vocab.db "DELETE FROM WORDS where category=100;" (which will usually remove the mastered words)
    • sqlite3 vocab.db "DELETE FROM WORDS where category=0;" (which will remove not mastered words)
    • sqlite3 vocab.db "DELETE FROM LOOKUPS where id!='blabla';" (which will remove word references to books)