Thread: install third party apps on Nook HD Tablets

install third party apps on Nook HD Tablets

I have recently purchased a new NOOK HD Tablet of Barnes & Noble at a price of $129.00 from an online website. It came in a good package and everything was working great in it. The only thing that I wanted to know whether I might be able to install any third party apps on this Nook Tablet or will I have to root it first to get these apps? Thanks.

Re: install third party apps on Nook HD Tablets

I am using the same tablet and let me assure you that you can easily install any type of third party apps on the Nook HD tablet without rooting it. You can even install the Amazon appstore if you want. There are many apps like Launcher Pro, ereading app, Opera Mobile and even some games I have installed on my Nook HD. It just works normally and there is nothing to worry about.

There was a firmware update done to this Nook HD Tablet version number 1.4.1. If you have updated your tablet to this firmware then you will not be able to install apps from outside. You will again have to downgrade it to firmware version 1.4.0 in order to install any 3rd party apps in your Nook HD tablet. So, for that you will have to factory reset the tablet again.

You can easily restore the Nook tablet firmware to 1.4.0 version by downloading the Nook Tablet restore file from here. After downloading it, do not rename it. Now copye the same file on a micro sd card and then insert this same card into your Nook Tablet. After this, you just have to turn on your Nook HD Tablet and then an automatic restoration of the firmware will start and install the version 1.4.0 firmware.