Thread: eBooks on Google Play for India are quiet costly

eBooks on Google Play for India are quiet costly

Google has now started eBook store officially for India. I had seen number of popular Indian titles on it. But I found them costly. It looks like they are not directly sold by the publisher. If you on similar website that sells ebook there is a price difference. I found the ebook on Google Play around 10 to 40% costly compare to what you get on local stores. Has anyone found this. Can anyone tell me why this price difference. It looks the publishers has to pay additional amount on getting books on the PlayStore.

Re: eBooks on Google Play for India are quiet costly

I agree. There is not much price different. It is not so costly. On Flipkart the book The Oath of the Vayuputras comes for Rs.175 while on Google Play it is Rs.189. So there is is no great difference here. There can be a bit higher amount for international title. It looks this price difference will stay until Google Play gets a popular platform for eBooks. While there is a very low margin competition among different shopping websites. It can be due to stiff competition but there is not great different between price and other stuff.

I do not find Google Play costly. I had seen a number of popular books exactly at the same price that are available on the other website. There is relatively low difference. And it basically depends on your choice from where you want to buy the books. You can buy from the place where you find it cheaper. But I prefer to go for hard copy. Because if you are done with the book you can simply share the same with other guys for reading. You must search the same title on multiple website and get from the one where you find cheaper.

You will not find price difference on Indian titles. But if you search for international titles then you will find the exact difference. For example Angels And Demons on Flipkart is sold for Rs.545, while the same on Google Play is sold for Rs.671. There is high difference of Rs.100 between both the places. I think the person on the top is talking about this. For regional we are having very low prices but for international title it it is getting costlier. I think there must atleast exact price.

When you check that just ensure that you are looking a eBook or a hard copy. Both have price difference. What I had seen that sometime eBooks are costlier than hard copy. If you search for a title just ensure you are looking inside the eBook section only. Or else it will be very complicated to find the price difference among all the titles available on various website. I do not think it will be complicated to find out the same. Every shopping site has not integrated a separate eBook section.