Thread: How to create Page Breaks in Ebooks

How to create Page Breaks in Ebooks

This is the first time I am using the Kindle. Now I have scanned a very old book using the ABBYY Finereader Professional 11 in OCR mode to HTML. Now there are lot of HTMl files and each one is for single page or single scan maybe. Now I can use the sigil to create book. I chose this because it gives me a better option of layout. Like a normal, it can able to read from top to bottom and then move to the next page when clicked and so on. But here the problem is no matter what converter I used for conversion, it just shows me the first page and then directly jumps to the second page. It will not allow me to create a new page at all. In Mobipocket or Calibre, there also the same. Should I need to create a page break for this. I would like to save it as an E-Pub file. After that I can easily convert it to mobi format so that I can read it on Kindle.

Re: How to create Page Breaks in Ebooks

If you are creating a bible, then pages shouldn’t matter here. In order to get the page break for mobi format or file, you have to put a special html tag: <mbpagebreak/>. There are several bibles available in Kindle format and all look same. If you want to see anything different in that, then that should some type of odd version.

If your ebook is in MOBI or ePub format then there are no such things like “page” in it. A bible or basisc ebook is just a long flow of text and illustrations. But you can create a cause to start a new screen of text. This is something like codex or staring a new chapter. We called this as "chapter breaks" or "page breaks". Any good software can add these breaks. If you are going to create an ebook in epub format, in that case you can create such breaks by starting a new XHTML file. However for a MOBI file format, there is already an embedded tag from which you can start a new section. By the use of caliber, you can convert ePub to MOBI. The caliber can recognize tag as an indication which needs to insert pagebreak tag.

Currently I have Kindle viewer in Calibre and it is working fine. Now the only problem is, I cannot create gap in between two sentences. I don’t know whether it is called `line break` or something else but I need a code for that. If I use the Mobipocket, I should copy the code everytime and re-build the book which has no effect at all.

Everyone know that EPUB is a reflowable format. That means those ebook which are in epub format are actually a continuous flow of text and you will not see predefined page boundaries. But several eReaders "paginate" the EPUB files. The thing is to divide the book contents into different "pages” before displaying and they display it according it the size and settings.