Thread: showing folders as icons in Windows Explorer

showing folders as icons in Windows Explorer

I am running Windows 7 on my computer and I want to know whether it is possible to show folders as icons in Windows Explorer instead of thumbnails even though still having pictures and videos shown as thumbnails? I have tried to find some workarounds from many websites but cannot get any information regarding the same. Even if there are any software that can automatically do it then it would be great. So, if anyone here knows about it then please let me know. Thanks

Re: showing folders as icons in Windows Explorer

After a lot of search on the internet I was finally able to find what you needed. You will first of all need to disable all the thumbnails, although you will get your file icons back soon. After that download a program called SageThumbs that can be easily found on the internet and install it in your computer. Open SageThumbs and go into its settings and then select the file types that you want to display as thumbnails. Now you can see no more live folders.

To customize the appearance of a folder, follow these steps:
    • Start Windows Explorer, and then locate the folder that you want to customize.
    • Right-click the folder, and then click Properties.
    • On the Customize tab, select the customization options you want to use for the folder.

More information is given here - http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/812003

I have not tried this method you can give it a go and see if it works. First of all try to select the folder whose icon you want to change and then press ctrl+i to open that folders info panel. After that open the picture that you want to use for the folder's icon in Preview. Now you need to press ctrl+a to select it and then ctrl+c to copy it. After that go back in the info panel and then click on the icon in the top left corner and then press ctrl+v to paste your customized icon image.