Thread: some icons in Windows 7 are displaying worse

some icons in Windows 7 are displaying worse

I had recently installed some Mac OS X skin that I found freely on the web on my computer. I didnt like the skin much so I uninstalled it successfully from my pc but still some of the icons image are not getting changed at all. I dont know how can I change these icons to the originals except reinstalling the operating system again, which is a very long process. If anyone knows about any method on how to change the icons to original then please let me know. Thanks

Re: some icons in Windows 7 are displaying worse

I would suggest you to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. To do this, click Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

More information is given here - http://support.microsoft.com/KB/929833

You can also try to manually rebuild the Icon Cache using command prompt. First of all close and save anything that is open on your computer because the below command will kill explorer and restart the pc when it is completed. After that open a command prompt in your computer and then copy and paste all the command line below exactly one at a time from start to finish and then press Enter after each command:
    ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache
    taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
    DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A
    shutdown /r /f /t 00

Note that the last command will restart your pc and once the computer boots the iconcache.db file will be rebuilt.

If none of the solution is working for you then you could perhaps try to perform a System Restore in your Window 7 pc. Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore.If there is a recommended restore point, click Choose a different restore point, and then click Next. If there isn't a recommended restore point, click Next. Click the restore point that you want, and then click Next. Follow more tips given here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/w...s-and-settings