Thread: restore library settings to default in Windows 7?

restore library settings to default in Windows 7?

I am running Windows 7 on my pc and some hours before I was playing with the libraries settings and I actually removed and added a few things in it. Since then my pictures and music library both look different than they used to look. There seems to be a useless dropdown menu which is cluttering the screen. I have already tried checking the settings and restoring the library settings to default but I am not able to get my libraries to look like a regular folder again. So, can anyone help me getting the original things back. Thanks

Re: restore library settings to default in Windows 7?

You should not try to drag that folder into your user folder because once you have done that then you are going to mess up the symbolic links for those types. Instead of that you can try to click on Group by > none to not have your library grouped into that view. Just open the Library folder that you want to change the Arrange by view of files in. After that click on View menu bar item and choose Arrange by and select the option for how you want the library folder files to be arranged.

You can easily try to restore default Libraries by using the Restore Default Libaries. To do that first of all open Windows Explorer. After that right click or press and hold on libraries in the navigation pane and then click on Restore Default Libraries. You can even click on the Arrange by toolbar option and choose Arrange by and the drop down menu option for how you want the library folder files to appear.

If nothing is working for you then you can try to do a System Restore in Windows 7 to get back to the original settings. To do that open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. More information is given here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/w...s-and-settings

options for restoring library settings to default in Windows 7

System Restore ? To reset library view? To me, that's like nuking a nation to deal with a few bandits....

I've just had this issue, and "restore default libraries" didn't fix it -
    (I assume) it re-creates Documents,Music,Pictures,Videos libraries
    (if they've been deleted)...

I found the solution (for my "restore library original view" issue) thanks to a

Using the "clear changes" option, my library reverted to "group by folder"
    ["IMG"]http://oi60.tinypic.com/k9hcz.jpg["/IMG"]

The default view (within a library containing) is group by: folder

*You might have to perform this action twice
    (view > group by > more(if necessary) > FOLDER)

Useful shortcuts:
    Alt+v,c - collapse all groups
    Alt+v,o - Sort by - Type,Date...
    Alt+v,a,c - Clear view changes**

**Annoyingly, if you navigate via libraries -> library ->> folder, the parent view (library "arrange by: folder") persists, ie

I have a library called "OS" with nested,useful,system folders (sendto, userpinned, system32...)

I find the easiest way to use system32 is usually (collapsed) group by filetype.

If I go to libraries -> OS -> system32, the sys32 folder doesn't group by filetype. I have to group by type (and collapse groups), and this setting remains on the OS parent library folder (which I want to remain as default: "arrange by folder")....

Working on a workaround (nice distraction from f***** NVIDIA GT540M gfx card)

*there's a weird relationship between arrange by and group by...
    default library view: arrange by folder, group by ascending

If I group by (none) then group by (more) folder... arrange by: folder is displayed (top-right), but the grouping isn't performed... to achieve this, repeat view > group by > (this time folder is present in list, so select) "folder"

apologies... that probably makes little sense to 99% of readers...

to the original OP - it sounds like you've installed something... a screenshot may be necessary.. also, ["URL"="http://" goo.gl/7rLXIU" ["/URL"]

there's a guide for configuring views of folder types - in case that's related.

apologies for the link formatting - reputation issues

Quote Originally Posted by Hardinn View Post
    I am running Windows 7 on my pc and some hours before I was playing with the libraries settings and I actually removed and added a few things in it. Since then my pictures and music library both look different than they used to look. There seems to be a useless dropdown menu which is cluttering the screen. I have already tried checking the settings and restoring the library settings to default but I am not able to get my libraries to look like a regular folder again. So, can anyone help me getting the original things back. Thanks
    hi -did you manage to fix this ?

think i have solution(S)