Thread: reset taskbar icons to default in windows 7

reset taskbar icons to default in windows 7

I have recently changed my Taskbar icons to some custom one from the default that I have downloaded from some website. After applying them they are looking very dirty and hence I am looking for a way to reset those back to the default taskbar icon. After searching a bit I was able to rebuild the icon cache and also have reset it but to no avail. I have also deleted the thumbnail cache but still that isnt working for me. So, if anyone knows how to delete this permanently then please give me solution for it. Thank you

Re: reset taskbar icons to default in windows 7

Have you tried closing the associated app, un-pinning it from the taskbar, then pinning it back again from the original exe?

Solution: You should try to restore your system in proper way.

Follow the below steps to solve this problem:
    1. First, click the "Start" button and then click "Computer".
    2. Now click "Organize" and then click "Folder and Search Options".
    3. Next, please click "View", uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and check "Show hidden files, folders, and drives". When done, click "OK". (If a warning window appears, click "Yes".)
    4. Now click the "Start" button and then type %UserProfile%\Appdata\Local . Once done, press the Enter key on the keyboard.
    5. Finally, right click on "IconCache.db" and then click "Delete". Restart your computer, and the issue will be resolved.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2635447

You can even download a tool called Icon Cache Rebuilder by searching on google to solve your issue. Icon Cache Rebuilder is an easy to use application designed to help you rebuild your Icon Cache. It is true that you can rebuild the Icon Cache manually in Windows 7 or Vista, but why not do it with a single click.If you experience problems with the icons that do not display correctly simply run Icon Cache Rebuilder, click Rebuild and wait for sometime and then restart your pc to make every icon to default.

If nothing is working for you then the only possible fix is to run System Restore on your Windows 7 computer. To do that, open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer. More information is given here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/w...system-restore