Thread: making backspace in Windows 7 to go up

making backspace in Windows 7 to go up

We all know that, in Windows XP's Windows Explorer when we click on Backspace key or Up arrow then it will always move up one higher folder and not back to the history folder like Left arrow. But now in Windows 7 there is no Up arrow, there is just the backspace key to get back to the history folder. So, if there is anyone who can tell me whether there is any steps on how to do that then please let me know asap. Thanks

Re: making backspace in Windows 7 to go up

There is a customized version of the script made in a small executable file that you can run in the background. It is simply called as HTGBack, you can download it from this link. After downloading it, you just need to extract it and then create a shortcut in the shell:startup folder. Simply double click on the exe file and then your Backspace key should start working like it use to in Windows XP. This file can be used on Windows Vista as noted.

Well, I think that the only way of getting the Up arrow in Windows 7 is to use third party tools or the script that is given in the above reply and there is not other way that you can use to get the Up One Level button in Windows 7. But I should suggest you to check the address bar in Windows explorer. You can try to click on any part of the path and then it wil usually take to that part immediately. There is also small arrows in the address bar which will give you many options of going back or forward.

You can also try to get the Up arrow button in your Windows 7 operating system by using the AutoHotKey script. To do this, first try to make a text file, and then cope the code that is given below into it and save it like xyzscript.ahk. After that download the portable application version of AutoHotKey software. After downloading, try to open the Ahk2Exe.exe file and then browse to your xyzscript.ahk file and press compile. Now make a shortcut to the new .exe in your startup folder. Just use the below script:

Code:
    #IfWinActive, ahk_class CabinetWClass
    Backspace::
       ControlGet renamestatus,Visible,,Edit1,A
       ControlGetFocus focussed, A
       if(renamestatus!=1&&(focussed=”DirectUIHWND3″||focussed=SysTreeView321))
       {
        SendInput {Alt Down}{Up}{Alt Up}
      }else{
          Send {Backspace}
      }
    #IfWinActive