Thread: How to create custom keyboard layout in Windows 8

How to create custom keyboard layout in Windows 8

I am using a laptop which came with Latin keyboard but since my native language is something different so I am missing some of the letters. I can easily purchase a new keyboard for my region but since there is just 2 letters missing so I was thinking that it will be easier if I would be able to create a new keyboard layout which will contain all the letters that is missing. For doing this, I was able to create a custom layout by using the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator but I am not able to add it to the Windows Keyboard list. So if anyone knows how to do this, it will be appreciated. Thanks

Re: How to create custom keyboard layout in Windows 8

If you are just saving the keyboard laout then it is never going to be enough, you will also have to install it to get it to work properly. To do that, first go to Project > Build DLL and Setup Package. After that when the process completes then click Yes to open the folder where the setup file can be found. After that run the setup.exe file you had generated to insall the new keyboard layout. Now, go to Control Panel > Regional Settings and choose this new layout.

First of all open PC Settings and then click on General > Language Preferences link under Language on the right hand side. Now click on Region and language on the left side of Time and language. Now click on an added language which you want to add a keyboard input method for and then click on Options. Go to Keyboard and under that click on +Add a keyboard and then click on keyboard input method you want to add. Once it is finished then you can close the PC Settings and the new keyboard input method will be added from the list when switching between input methods.

You can also download the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator to create new keyboard layouts from scratch, base a new layout on an existing one, Modify an existing keyboard layout and build a new layout from it, Multilingual input locales within edit control fields, Build keyboard layout DLLs for x86, x64, and IA64 platforms and Package the resulting keyboard layouts for subsequent delivery and installation. Simply download it from this link - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964665.aspx