Thread: remove old Start Menu in Windows 8.1

remove old Start Menu in Windows 8.1

I have recently installed the Launch 8 software from Stardock and because of that I got the old Start Menu back in my system. I just dont want this old Start Menu in Windows 8.1 because I have heard that microsoft is attempting to change the new Start Menu, which is in the process. I have noted that in the Apps menu also we get the Start Menu. I have another computers where everything is fine. But on one computer I just dont want this old Start Menu at all.

Re: remove old Start Menu in Windows 8.1

You can try to enable Start in desktop from boot in your Windows 8.1 to get rid of the start menu. On my desktop I had not activated any custom toolbars or anything else at all. The reason I stay away from the 3rd party applications is because I cannot say what they will do but in the long run I am sure that they will cause nothing but trouble. I usually pin some apps to the desktop but it is perfectly standard windows, but anyhow, I will recommend you to stay away from that third party application as well.

It definitely seems to me that the software Launch 8 that you are using has done that. Can you try to go through its settings or options and see if there is a way to turn off that type of feature, like disable Start Button customization or something. Just try to customize that, try to set the Start to either display "new tiles" or the apps as the first screen once you click on it. You might be able to find it in the navigation controls in the Windows settings I think.

You can try to download a tool called StartIsGone for Windows 8.1. It is a utility that lets you hide the Start button in Windows 8.1. Available for 32-bit and 64-bit pc, it is presented as a single executable. Once launched, the Windows 8.1 Start Button is hidden unless you place the mouse cursor in the corner of the screen to make it reappear. It can be opened automatically by StartIsGone for Windows 8.1 when Windows starts for not having to open the program every time.

You can try to download a tool called StartIsGone for Windows 8.1. It is a utility that lets you hide the Start button in Windows 8.1. Available for 32-bit and 64-bit pc, it is presented as a single executable. Once launched, the Windows 8.1 Start Button is hidden unless you place the mouse cursor in the corner of the screen to make it reappear. It can be opened automatically by StartIsGone for Windows 8.1 when Windows starts for not having to open the program every time.