Thread: change icon of file explorer in Windows 8

change icon of file explorer in Windows 8

I have already tried searching on google but cant find answer to my question. I am trying to find out how do I change the File Explorer icon in Windows 8 or 8.1. I simply want to do this to use my custom icon which would match my desktop. I have already attempted to change what opens in File Eexplorer and customizing that shortcut works but if I try to open downloads then it brings up the old default File Explorer icon on my taskbar. Is there anyone who knows how to do this? Thanks

Re: change icon of file explorer in Windows 8

I think that you can try to use the Classic Shell which might be an easy solution for this problem. Lets say for example, go to the C:\Windows path and find Explorer.exe. After that right click on it and then click "create shortcut". You wont be allowed to create the shortcut by Windows in the Windows folder I suppose. Rather it will tell you whether you want to place the shortcut on the desktop infact. So, try to do that and then go to the desktop and cut the shortcut and put it in the C:\Program Files Folder. After that you can right click on the shortcut and rename or change the icon if you want.

You can also follow this steps to change the file explorer icon in Windows 8. First you need to click on Start and then choose All Programs and then Accessories. After that right click on Windows Explorer icon and then choose Properties. Now, you have to click on the shortcut tab of the Windows Explorer Properties dialogue box which will open up and then click on Change Icon button. Just click to choose the icon which you want to change icon dialougue box and then click on ok button.

There is also an application called Icon Explorer. This tool allows to manage icon libraries, standalone icons and executable that contains icons as resources. MicroAngelo 16-bit format (icl) and 16-bit executables (NE) is no longer supported and Icon Explorer now creates 32-bit DLLs as icon libraries. 32-bit icons and 256x256 sized icons are supported. It has powerfull searching tool that searches specified path with directory recursion and examines any file if it contains any icon and then extract it. You can get more infomation here - http://www.mitec.cz/iconex.html