Thread: How to change your computer name in Windows 7

How to change your computer name in Windows 7

To change the Computer Name in Windows XP we simply had to change a registry key and rename the value and create new REG_EXPAND_SZ value or such. But the same method is not working in Windows 7. When I am trying to rename or change the key then it is not allowing me to do so. I have also tried it in Safe Mode but it didnt work. Does anyone know of a way to change the Computer Name to my Username or something else? Thanks for any tricks.

Re: How to change your computer name in Windows 7

I was able to change the computer name by taking owership in my system. What you need to do is, go to Start and then in search box type regedit and then go to HK CLASSES ROOT\CLSID\[20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} key. After that right click on that key and choose Permissions. Now choose Advanced and then Owner. Now you have to change the owner to your currently logged in administrator login. You can now easily change that key to anything that you want. Also, once you have done editing then change the owenership back to what it was.

Well, the method that I took was to make the change and go into permissions and take ownership of the key and then assign myself all the rights to read and write. After doing this, I have the desktop icon name changed to whom so ever is logged in to. You will have to check your permissions and owership again, if something is wrong and not working then you will have to delete the key and then try again. This is the only way I can recommend you to change the computer name.

If you want to change your computer name, then follow the below steps:
    1. Open System by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
    2. Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, click Change settings. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. On the Computer Name tab, click Change.
    4. Under Computer name, delete the old computer name, type a new computer name, and then click OK. If your computer is part of a domain, you will be prompted to provide the name and password of an account that has permission to rename the computer in the domain.

Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/w...#1TC=windows-7