Thread: method to change icon of PDF file

method to change icon of PDF file

I am running Windows 7 in my computer and I want to know a way on how to change the icon of PDf file to a custom one? I have checked in the OS and there is no folder options tab to do this? I was also searching for some softwares that can do this but there is none that I can find or any one out there which can change the icon? So, if anybody knows the trick then please share it with me. Thank you

Re: method to change icon of PDF file

There is a tool called Default Programs Editor that lets you see, check, change or delete any file associations type. It also gives you the ability to change the icons assigned to each file type, or even set the AutoPlay for your CD/DVD drive or external hard drive, for example. Default Programs Editor is a simple way to configure how Windows supports file associations. So try to download and install it by searching on the internet and see if it works for you.

First of all you will need to search and copy the icon that you like from the net to your desktop in your PC so that you should know this files location. After that search for a PDF file and then right click on it and then choose Change Icon for the menu which will appear. Now you need to point to the same icon file that you have saved to your desktop and then click ok. Your pdf file icon will be changed to the icon that you have selected now.

You can also checkout another software called FileTypesMan that allows you to manage all the file extensions on your system. This is somehow a little more complete alternative for the "File Types" tab in "Folder Option". This program offers a comprehensive view of all available file types on your computer, it also gives you a description of the file, the name of the file type (audio, video, text, etc), the MIME type, its location on your hard drive or the last modification date. You can easily edit the properties of file types: with what program a particular extension should be open, change descriptions, change icons and many other options.