Thread: restore system icons to default in windows 7

restore system icons to default in windows 7

I am running Windows 7 on my laptop and I am attempting to restore all my system icons on my computer back to their default setup. I have done the Restore thing but I am not able to find any solution on how to restore all those back to the original state? Is there any setting in Windows 7 on how to do this or if there is any tool that can do this automatically by the click of one button or such? Thank you

Re: restore system icons to default in windows 7

You can try to Notification Area Icons Cache by simply downloading a bat file called Reset_Notification_Area_Icons_Cache.bat, by searching it on google, and then save it to your desktop. Once you have downloaded it, then double click on the same bat file to run it and then follow the onscreen instructions in the command prompt. Next time you restart your pc then the registry keys IconStreams and PastIconsStream will automatically be made if you make any changes to the notification area icons.

Can you tell us what procedure did you use when changing the icons? Have you tried to do it manually or it was done by an icon packer tool? I would suggest you to do a sfc /scannow in your Windows 7 pc to repair any damaged file. To do that follow the below steps:
    1. Click Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow

Well, if nothing is working for you then you can try to do a System Restore to an earlier state to solve this issue. To do that open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer. More information is given here - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...system-restore