Thread: Windows 8 default tiles missing from Metro screen

Windows 8 default tiles missing from Metro screen

Its been about 6 months i am using this Dell laptop running Windows 8, never had any problem. Something went wrong two days when my laptop started freezing continuously. I went to some troubleshooting steps like cleaning temp files, uninstalling unwanted applications, ran Antivirus and scanned the computer, etc but nothing fixed. At last i even tried repairing the system by booting it with DVD. Yet no success but seems like something went wrong during the repair.

After repairing when the system booted, i found few of the important and default windows applications like people, Mail, etc are missing from the Metro Screen. I tried searching them which show them in the result but clicking them wont do anything. They just dont launch anymore. I am thing to refresh or re-install windows but that will delete many of my settings which is bit problematic. Hence i wanted to know if there is any alternate workaround for the same.

Thank you.

Re: Windows 8 default tiles missing from Metro screen

Freezing and all problems would have been fixed even by performing simple System Refresh from PC Settings. There was no need to repair. Anyways, to me it seems like some of your system files are corrupt, hence you should try running the System File Checker. Hopefully it should repair the corrupts. You can do this by bring up Run Box (Win + R) and type "sfc /scannow" command followed by enter. Make sure you run the command prompt as an Administrator. If the problems are severe, the process may even ask you for the installation disk. Make sure you have already inserted the same in your DVD drive.

Thanks for the help Lankesh. I already tried that, yet no help. Still the tiles are missing and my computer freezes a lot. Is there any other working solution please?

If you are not concerned of your installed apps and programs, the best I can suggest you in this case where the system is freezing so much, you should better try out using the built-in reset feature. This will re-install your windows and make it to its beginning state.

If you are willing to do, login with your Administrator username and password, click General under PC Settings. Now select Remove everything and reinstall Windows , tap or click Get started. Wait for some time and let the PC do its job.

Hello Atticus,

If you haven’t re-installed the windows yet, I will suggest you to just try out clearing the Windows Cache. It is just like browser cache where you wont see the changes even after making them because of the cache. In order to clear the windows cache you need to type “wsreset.exe” without quotes in RUN Command. Once the process is done, restart the system and see if the tiles are back.