Thread: Unable to change Lock Screen on Windows 8.1

Unable to change Lock Screen on Windows 8.1

I recently upgraded my well working Windows 8 system to the new Windows 8.1 Preview. I was having no problem with my earlier laptop, but updated just to test out the new Windows. Even the new windows is working good, no problem with any of its performance but have a problem with its lock screen as mentioned in my subject line.

Whenever i go to PC Settings and try changing the lock screen, as soon as i select and picture and click OK, my system freezes. There is no problem changing the desktop wallpaper but it wont allow me to change the lock screen background. It wants to remain with the same default picture.

Any idea where is the problem? Please help.

Re: Unable to change Lock Screen on Windows 8.1

The first thing i would like to confirm is whether you have activated your Windows 8.1? Though the preview is free as of now but it still requires activation.

If it is yet not activate there are few functionalists that remains blocked and will not work until you activate the system. I guess the problem you have mentioned above is one of them. Recheck and reply.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielV View Post
    If it is yet not activate there are few functionalists that remains blocked and will not work until you activate the system.
    Even i have similar problem. As far as i knew it is a free OS and hence wont required to be activated. BTW can you please tell me how do we activate 8.1 Preview.

Only when you download and install Windows 8.1 directly from the Store, you dont need to activate it. But if you have installed it using the ISO burning on DVD, then you need to activate the Windows. This is not a license key but to make Microsoft know number of people using the OS or some other factor. Activation is quite simple and can be done in few steps, just check this article Activating Windows 8.1