Thread: customize places bar for applications in Windows 7

customize places bar for applications in Windows 7

Can anyone tell me a way to customize the places bar when I am trying to open files in different applications like for example Dreamweaver? I have recently upgraded my pc to Windows 7. Previously when I was using Windows XP I have modified some places where I wanted to look into while opening files like in Notepad or Dreamweaver. Now in Windows 7 if I am clicking open then it will show only Recent Places, Desktop, Libraries and computer and Network? Can anyone please help me? Thanks.

Re: customize places bar for applications in Windows 7

You can try to customize the Places Bar manually in Windows 7 by going into the Registry Editor, just follow the below steps:

1. First of all you have to press the Windows+R keys on your keyboard to open the Run dialog and then type regedit and press enter.
    2. After that incase you are prompted by UAC, click on Yes.
    3. Now in the regedit, you have to find this registry entry - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    4. Now if you want to Customize Items to be Displayed in the Places Bar, then check in the left pane and then right click on Policies and then click on New and Key.
    5. After that type comdlg32, and press enter. You have to right click on comdlg32, and click on New and Key.
    6. Now you can simply type Placesbar, and press enter.
    7. Now in the right pane of Placesbar, simply right click or press and hold on an empty space and then click on New and String Value.
    8. Here the maximum that you can specify places is up to 5, so type Place0, Place1, Place2, Place3, or Place4 for each one you would like to customize and then press Enter.
    9. You need to now repeat steps 7 and 8 from above to add each Place# string value for how many custom places you wanted to be displayed as items in the Places Bar.
    10. In the right pane, double click on the Place# to modify it. Type in the item location that you want to have displayed in the Places Bar, and click on OK. Repeat for each Place# that you have added in step 7 above.
    11. Close regedit.

Well, I think that you should have made a different library that should have pointed to the path you wanted. You should not play with libraries much of the time but it will be worth it to do or so.

There is a tool called PlacesBar Editor that allows you to customize the PlacesBar in Windows 7 OS. You have a list of up to 5 direct access buttons folder on the left side of the dialog boxes to open and save in most applications. This software allows you to change them to be any folder you want. You can easily download it by searching it on the net.