Thread: inbuilt wallpaper changing feature not working in Windows 7

inbuilt wallpaper changing feature not working in Windows 7

I am facing a small but strange problem with my Windows 7 desktop. I'm using this computer since past 3 years and have set to auto change the wallpaper every hour (yeah its boring to see the same wallpaper always ). I have a folder with all my wallpapers, select them all in Desktop > Right Click > Personalize > Desktop background. Set it to change in hour and it was working great so far since year. Now i dont know what has went wrong suddenly. I dint made any changes to the system but the wallpaper wont change now automatically. It is stuck on the same wallpaper.

Any idea what is wrong? Any fix for this?

Re: inbuilt wallpaper changing feature not working in Windows 7

Which version of Windows 7 are you using? You should know that if you are using Windows 7 Starter edition than the Wallpaper changer is not supported. Secondly did you installed any third party desktop manager applications recently after which the wallpapers stopped changing. Such applications come pre-loaded with several new laptops and notebooks. Possibly it might have got enabled on your laptop and stopped the built-in wallpaper changing feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Harnoor View Post
    You should know that if you are using Windows 7 Starter edition than the Wallpaper changer is not supported. Secondly did you installed any third party desktop manager applications recently after which the wallpapers stopped changing. Such applications come pre-loaded with several new laptops and notebooks.
    First of all i am using Windows 7 ultimate edition and the wallpaper changer was working fine earlier. It stopped working recently as i have mentioned in my post above. Secondly i dont have any laptop. This is a self assembled desktop. Also i dint installed any desktop manager application.

There use to be a file on Windows named as “TranscodedWallpaper.jpg” which if gets corrupted, you wont be able to change the wallpaper you may face such problems as you mentioned above. I think this is what happened with your system. So, here are few steps that will fix the issues.
    • Go to Start > Copy paste the below line followed by Enter:
    • %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes\
    • Now right click the TranscodedWallpaper.jpg file and click Rename.
    • Simply rename it to anything like this “TranscodedWallpaper.old”.
    • Click Yes if you are prompted for permission.
    • If slideshow.ini is listed, double-click this file. Slideshow.ini should open in Notepad. Select all the text in slideshow.ini if any exists, and then press Delete on the keyboard.
    • Click Save from the File menu and close the Notepad.
    • Close the Windows Explorer window, and then browse to the picture that will be set as the background image.

That’s it. Hope it helps.

I had this problem once with my computer. After struggling a lot finally I managed to find out that it was due to virus. There is no compulsion that it could be because of third party application or due to TranscodedWallpaper. If your system is infected, you may face such problems. So better scan your system with any good and updated antivirus program and clean it.

This is what helped me when I was facing exactly the same problem on my Windows 7 laptop:
    • Go to start > type ‘Edit Power Plan’ and press Enter.
    • On the opened window click ‘Change Advanced Power Settings’
    • Now click Desktop background settings
    • Click Slide Show and make sure it is set to ‘Available’ as shown in the image below.

Let me know the results.

I appreciated all your helps guys. I tried all of these steps and finally the process for TranscodedWallpaper provided by O'Brian has helped me to fix it out.

Thank you to all for the replies.