Thread: How to get folder icon of Vista in Windows 7

How to get folder icon of Vista in Windows 7

I am right now using Windows 7 on my computer and Vista on my old laptop. What I want to do is get the green colored folder icon from Vista and use it in Windows 7? It will be located at the right side of star menu in Vista. So, if anyone knows how to add this folder icon in from Vista to Windows 7, it would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help

Re: How to get folder icon of Vista in Windows 7

I think that you might need to get imageres.dll for both this path - C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\SysWOW64. But first you will need to take ownership of this path to change the system file without any problems. After taking the ownership you will get yourself permission to do the same in basic networking information. After that download the Icon Cache - Rebuild tool by searching it on the net. Then the folder icon on the taskbar will be pinned in explorer.exe in C:\Windows.

I think that when you go into Vista's imageres.dll then it will be the icon number 123 which could be using the 16 x 16 pixel image from the 13 layer icon. With the help of it, just try to get the same effect on Windows 7. Also, Vista handles the pinned folder icon in a different way other than Windows 7 does. So, you will need a bigger image of 256 x 256 pixels to make a fullsize icon which will show then.

Well, you need to tell us first what kind of icon is used on the Vista taskbar? I am trying to do what you said but I think that a larger image of 256 x 256 pixels would be needed for a new icon and then it could be made and will work for sure. The .ico image are not more than 16 x 16 pixels and will therefore distort the image and wont look good.