Thread: How to add Search and Shutdown in start menu of Windows 8

How to add Search and Shutdown in start menu of Windows 8

Hi, i am using Windows 8 since past weeks on my new Dell laptop. This is the first time i am using Windows 8 after testing consumer preview for a month last year. I love the new features, performance and accessibility of Windows 8 but there is some problem using its new user interface like there is no kind of start menu that we use to have in earlier Windows. Also i dont like the Search feature provided by default in Windows 8 because it does not find many of my folders though i enter the correct folder keyword in the search bar.

So what i wanted to know is if there is any tweaking way we can add manual Search bar and shutdown button in the Start Menu of Windows 8? If yes, please let me know how. Many thanks.

Re: How to add Search and Shutdown in start menu of Windows 8

First of all i am confused when you say "Start menu" because as far as i know there is no Start Menu in Windows 8, right? Shuld i guess you are talking about the Start Screen? If yes, then there is a tool called "Oblytile". It allows you to fully customize the start screen or tiles and you can set tiles according to you preference. Once downloaded you can select any application or system tasks from the Tile Manager sidebar which will appear clicking the folder icon on the top of the OblyTile Window. I think you should give it a try.

Download Oblytile from here.

Quote Originally Posted by mesterio View Post
    So what i wanted to know is if there is any tweaking way we can add manual Search bar and shutdown button in the Start Menu of Windows 8? If yes, please let me know how. Many thanks.
    As per my information Windows 8 search is the most simplest search compared to all other windows in past. I mean like in Win 7 we need to press start key and then type in the search field to search, in windows XP we had to press Win+ S key to bring up the search Window. But in this Windows 8 you dont need to press anything to start the search. While on start screen simply start typing the name of app or file you want to search and it starts searching. Isn't that the most easiest one? What else you want to do?

Yeah thats correct. Windows 8 has the most easiest searching feature. However if you are facing any problem with the search like though you are entering the proper keyword and still not getting the file or application, then you can make a small change which will help you to get the accurate search result. Here is how you can do that:
    • Open Windows Explorer by press Win+E key or double click My Computer.
    • Now click on View Tab and at the right end click on Options.
    • Now from the drop down click "Change folder and search options."
    • Folder option video will open, click on Search Tab.
    • Here Check Mark all boxes you can see. Usually there would be 5 options. Select all and click OK.

Thats it. Now try to search your files and folders.