Thread: How to change font color in taskbar of Windows 8

How to change font color in taskbar of Windows 8

Hi there,

I am looking for a way to change the color of fonts in the taskbar of Windows 8. It would be great if there will be some darker colors for the same, but note that with the black font, it might not be readable I think. I have searched for a method on how to do this on the net but cannot find anything for Windows 8? Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.

Re: How to change font color in taskbar of Windows 8

Well, this can be done by changing a registry entry value, follow the below steps on how to do this:
    1. First of all navigate to Personalize and change your color scheme for the taskbar that you would like
    2. After that try to run regedit and then go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM
    3. Try to find out the key "EnableWindowColorization", and set its value to 0.
    4. After that try to press next and then run the task manager, and find a process named "Desktop Window Manager" under "Windows processes"
    5. You have to then end this task, and after when it starts back up you will find your windows color has gone back to default light grey and your taskbar color has remained fine.

I dont know if there are any setting in Windows 8 which will allow you to do what you want, but you can try a Windows 7 app that can add different color effects to the taskbar, check if it works for Windows 8 as well.

The app name is Taskbar Color Effects and besides the color of the bar and its transparency can be set, and how intense the shadow should be, it casts the rest of the screen as well. Just search for this app on the net and download and install it in your system.

Even I was looking for a solution and found out some tricks on how to do this. You need to check in the registry and find out the custom colors, you need to go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors to change the UI Colors and not in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\colors. Incase you change the colors in the former keys then the changes will take effect but note that it will always switch back to the default for reasons that I dont know till yet. To solve this issue, you can try to delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\colors key and the custom colors will stay there without any issues.