Thread: How to run live video on windows desktop

How to run live video on windows desktop

I am want to run a set of short clips on the desktop background. I having around 10 pc in the network. Some of them are on Windows 7 and some of them are old which are on xp. Now here I can ignore XP systems. I want to add a small background clip on Windows 7 desktop which will consist of my company's intro. I had locked the theme settings here. Only the admin here is allowed to manage the theming stuff and ample of people will be using a limited account. I had seen vlc is having some options for that.

Re: How to run live video on windows desktop

Yes you can do that through vlc. You just need to enable the settings in it. For that go in preferences and then click on Video. At the right side you can see output. There is a drop down menu in it. From the menu select DirectX Video Output. Configure the settings and save it. Next time when you have to add a video play the video first in vlc right click on it and click on Direct X wallpaper.

That is a bit complicated according to me. I had tried that on my system also. But for that you have to keep on running vlc in the background. Second the repeat option is not so effective. You will need to add the same video multiple time on the vlc playlist and then it keeps on playing. I am looking for a more effective option here. Buy which I can simply add the video on the background and forget it. Till today Microsoft has not implemented a animated image in the desktop background. Like even if the background supports gif files them also it is more better. But the situation here is extremely different. For VLC I found the system is getting a bit slower if you stream a bigger video. It is better to make a screen saver of all image files you have and then set it under minimum time option. There are simple screen saver making application available on the web. You can create basic slideshow screensaver and run that on the pc.

There is no need to make a screen saver if you just want to run some photos on the desktop. You can copy them on a folder and then go in Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Personalization. In that click on Desktop Background. Click on Browse on the top and choose the folder. That's all.

One more thing you people can try here. You can go for Dreamscene. Which is another tool to run animated wallpapers on the desktop. This tool support wmv video format. It offers you a simple set of ready to use wallpapers. It works well in the background. But if you are using a big size video then surely the system will get a bit slow because it occupies more ram. It is recommended that you must test this one. I am using it on my laptop which has a 1GB graphic card on it. So it works really well. Due to a dedicated video memory this kind of tools works really well. But if your system is having a basic or limited hardware then I will not recommend you dreamscene. Till yet windows background here does not supports any animated or gif file. I hope in future Microsoft can simply add a tool which can allow us to play animated video on the background. I had gone through various tools but Dreamscene among them is best.

DreamScene is not good for system with poor hardware config. I will recommend you to go with the screensaver thing. With screensaver you are using a very basic utility here that works fine and can be used for longer time also. There are third party software also available.

There are tools like DreamScene, DeskScapes, Rainmeter, etc. that allows you to make your desktop works more better. Somehow it is complicated here to get the right tool. Because windows officially has no support for animated images in the desktop background. There are third party tools that gives you a direct download of animated desktop which you can configure on the desktop background and use them well. It is works fine and has no issue at all. There can be some complication in using animated images which are only supported through third party players. The most easiest way is slideshow. You can convert your videos to an set of image files and run them in the background at minimum timeout interval. I think it will work really well.