Thread: Rainmeter not working in windows 8

Rainmeter not working in windows 8

I have just now installed Rainmeter in my system running windows 8 but after the installation when I am trying to launch rainmeter then I am getting an error message saying:
    “Rainmeter.ini is not writable. Settings will not be saved. Quit rainmeter and move the settings file form C:\rainmeter\rainmeter.ini................”
    Error screen shot:

Re: Rainmeter not working in windows 8

According to the error you have to move rainmeter.ini in to E:\users\maqbool\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter.
    Just try doing that and see if you are able to get rid of that error. If not then you can post back for further help.

Hey it was because of my mistake, actually I had dual booted my system and had installed rainmeter in C drive. I have installed windows xp in C drive and windows 8 in E drive. However, I have moved the whole rainmeter folder from C drive to E drive and I am not getting the same error anymore. I have enabled some illustro default skins like clocks, disk, feeds etc but there are only 2 themes in “Theme” section and I want to know how can I add more themes??? Further help regarding this will be appreciated.

For that you will have to download rainmeter themes, there are many rainmeter for windows 8. You can download the one you like and follow below instructions for installing it:
    • Right-click and Extract the of the downloaded file
    • Copy all the contents and move it to X:\Users\<your username>\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\ (Location might vary, just ,Make sure that you are moving the extracted content in Skins folder )
    • Now right click on its tray icon, click on “Theme” tab, and select the theme that you might have downloaded from the list, click on Load and you are done.

Yes there are some cool rainmeter themes, you can check out the below ones for instance:
    1. Omnimo
    2. Speed
    3. Razor
    4. iShortcuts
    5. NH Theme

I liked these ones:
    1. Dark Rainmeter
    2. Futuristic Rainmeter
    3. Monochrome Rainmeter
    4. VAtch Rainmeter

I have installed Omnimo 3.1 Skin for Rainmeter but my Windows 8 desktop seems to have got overwritten. I had pinned “Desktop” to Metro UI already but now I can see “Rainmeter pinned” as well. No matter if I click on Rainmeter or Desktop icon I am dragged to the new theme that I have installed. I can see the Desktop icons behind the theme layer but I can’t access them.

Just check out the below snapshot

So silly off me I just got everything working fine, actually I just had to press windows + D to get access to the Desktop screen. After pressing windows + D I can access the icons without any issues now, the black layer went away.