Thread: Change Windows 8 Consumer preview startup sound

Change Windows 8 Consumer preview startup sound

My system runs on windows 8 Consumer preview and I want to know if it is possible to change its startup sound. It was possible in windows 7 I guess, I have asked about this to my friends and have got varying response. So is there anyone who has tried changing startup sound in win 8 cp and has got success???

Re: Change Windows 8 Consumer preview startup sound

It is not possible to change it by tweaking any setting in windows 8 Consumer preview. However, you can use some Third Party Software for changing it. I also wanted to add that using such Third Party Software might cause serious issue, so you will have to use it on your own risk.

I agree to you completely, I have installed windows 8 Consumer preview in my system recently and have gone through default sound properties. There is no option for changing the sound, one can either play the default sound or turn it off.
    I have raised same question in other forums as well and some people have suggested me to use HEX Editors for editing the sound file which is played at start up. I haven’t tried it out because they said “Try it on your own risk” along with it.

I haven’t installed windows 8 Consumer preview yet but I have used software called “Start up Sound changer”. I can change startup sound using it in windows 7, I am not sure if it will work in windows 8 cp or not. If you don’t mind trying it out than go head, try it and let us know if it works.
    You just have to download the software, launch it, click on replace and select any music file with *.wav (Wave form Audio File Format).

I have done little bit of research and have found iFX Seven Sound Creator and Start up Sound changer to be supported by windows 7 and windows vista. Even though there are some articles claiming that it works with windows 8 as well I don’t see any one agreeing upon it in comments. My friend has installed windows 8 Consumer preview for testing purpose and I will ask him to try these software’s as I can’t risk my system for now.
    Will surely let you all know if any amongst these software works.

I am not aware of iFX Seven Sound Creator but I had used Start up Sound changer for changing start up sound in windows 8 Consumer preview and it had worked. I have uninstalled it yesterday and have reverted back to windows 7 as there is no option for upgrading to windows 8 final version form Consumer preview. I might upgrade this to win 8 final version this week .Hope Start up Sound changer will work with windows 8 final version as well as I just hate the new start up sound.