Thread: Tile for desktop disappeared under Metro in Windows 8

Tile for desktop disappeared under Metro in Windows 8

I have just installed and started using Windows 8 consumer preview. After using it for some time and playing around with the UI, I did some changes to the Metro UI and I have lost the icons and the logos for the Desktop and Store. I have tried to bring back the logos by going in the Desktop folder from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. But I still couldn’t get the desktop and store icon on the Metro UI. Can someone tell me how to do it?

Re: Tile for desktop disappeared under Metro in Windows 8

The Desktop shortcut on the right hand of the taskbar must have disappeared in your Windows 8 consumer preview. I have attached a file which has the lnk file for the desktop shortcut. You can download the attached file and extract it in your local hard drive. Once you extract the ‘Desktop.lnk’ file on desktop, right click on it. In the window for the settings of this shortcut, go in the General tab and on the bottom right corner you will find an ‘Unblock’ button, click it. If you don’t see the unblock button, then your operating system has already unblocked the shortcut. You can now pin this shortcut to the taskbar to get the click on shortcut to the desktop.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Tile for desktop disappeared under Metro in Windows 8

You can manually create the Shortcut logo on the desktop and then place it on the taskbar. You have to right click in the empty area of the desktop and go in the ‘New’, a new menu will pop out. Here in this new menu, you will need to select the ‘Desktop’. Here you will be asked for the location of the application’s execution file whose shortcut you want to create. To get the shortcut for desktop, you can type the following code:
    %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257}

On clicking ‘Next’, you can give it a name, maybe ‘Show my Desktop’. Then you will need to give the shortcut a look like the original desktop shortcut of Windows 8. So just right click on the icon and go in the shortcut tab. Again in the browse textbox you will need to type following code to get the default icon:
    %SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll

In the icon menu under the text box, you will also find the same logo which you can select. You can now this newly formed shortcut to the desktop.