Thread: Install Classic Shell in Windows 8 RP

Install Classic Shell in Windows 8 RP

How to install Classic Shell in Windows 8 RP. I had upgraded my system to this new operating system. From last couple of days I am trying to deal with the usage. It is a bit complicated to understand and perform a number of operation. The interface is a bit complicated for me. I had seen on some forums that it is possible to install Classic Shell on Windows 8 and that will help.

Re: Install Classic Shell in Windows 8 RP

You can download that from web. I am not sure whether it work or not but I had seen a number of positive keywords on the same. There might be some helpful article on the web that you can go for.

That is really a nice experiment on Windows 8. Classic Shell is available for download and the size is just 8mb something. It will help you to get back the same old start menu on Windows 8. I am bit doubtful about the changes that it done to the system. It is necessary to understand how it really works. There are number of bugs fixes in the new edition and it is termed as one of the most stable edition. Classic Shell is kind of third party apps. After installation you can get the start menu windows with many other similar feature. It offers you to give all classic edition so that you can get better performance. even IE is included in the same.

It is a very light weight tool. I had tested this on Windows 8 and it works nicely. Till yet there are not major errors on it. The can browse my files more easily this time. I was hoping that Microsoft will not entirely modify Windows 8 by making it a completely new to everyone. I had check the system requirement of this thing and it was Windows 7 last. But still it works on Windows 8 which is quiet a good news. The installation offers you to choose the features that you want to install. You can unchecked the items that are not needed and use them as per your choice. The issue with this thing is that it does not support your existing themes. Those will be lost. So there is the place where you can find bugs. So if you had made some customization then you must restore the same to old before installing this.

The good thing about using Classic Shell that it officially supports Windows 8. I had just seen its download site which showed that it supports Windows 8 RTM and Developer Preview. But there is some limitation with version. Try to get the most latest one only.

It is not complicated to install. The issue lies with complete removal. I am using this and it is quiet nice. I am not using this on Windows 8, but on 7. I was expecting to get a bit more performance. First of all the exit process is very easy. You just need to right click on the start menu and click on exit. It offers you a simple start menu and explorer menu to work on. In Windows 8 I found this one of easiest tweak tool. I am testing Windows 8 Consumer Preview still to find out what all new stuff it provides. But due to the new look and changed interface it takes a bit lot time to get use to.

If we have to use such kind of apps to make it simple, then I think t is not at all worth to use. This type of things must be provided in the control panel itself. Option like removing Metro UI and resetting your system to classic look. I hope Windows 8 is build to give more better performance. I do not really like to land on confusion. That is reason I had not fully upgraded my system yet. Just download the setup file and run it. Follow the screen instruction and you are done. Do not forgot to restart your pc and you can see the classic shell loaded on the boot up. It offers you three things at start. The first is classic explorer to check the files of your hard drive, the second one is Classic Start Menu and the last item is Classic IE9.

Is there a utility that can help me to customize Windows 8 completely. I had found a tweak utility in Windows 7 that allows me to remove all unnecessary things that are not at all needed. Yet I had not find that for Windows 8.

Windows 8 comes with internal customization option that will help you to make many possible changes. I do not think you will need to download and install Classic Shell for that. I had certain options to check out. I was reading a guide on the web to customize the metro ui as per my use. Anyhow this is integrated so there is no way of skipping it. You have to use and understand how it works actually and there are all settings available that you need. For that go in PC Settings. In that you can see the first option Personalization. Here it offers you to make changes to color and theme style.

There are other more settings included in the same thing. You can tweak your Windows 8 as per your need. And if you really need a very classic interface then I will recommend you to download Classic Shell. You just need to install that and it is done. You can then make changes to the same from control panel. I do not think there is a way by which you can remove Metro UI completely and stick with the regular desktop edition. It offers you a more organize way of using a desktop. It puts your file properly on the single desktop making it the most convenient way to access. Check the settings once where you can see a number of options I think.

I had seen that. There is nothing much provided. All you can do is make changes to the color scheme and background wallpapers. There are very less settings provided in Windows 8. It is very different compared to Windows 7.

I did not like the interface. I though Windows 8 will be bit different with enhanced interface instead of this Metro UI. It offers you a pin feature by which you can keep your most viewed documents or folders on the metro ui. It might does not look complicated to use but to some extent I had find nothing great. There are very less tools that can help you to remove components one by one and making it a clean decent OS. The current desktop that had seen does not has a start menu. I do not understand what they did to it.

If you do not want a new interface then better do not upgrade to Windows 8. There were plenty of apps available for Windows 7 to tweak and make it lighter but the same thing is not available for this new edition.

Along-with Classic Shell you can find ample of information on various customization guide made on Windows 8. The internal PC settings are very limited to few number of changes only. The new interface of Windows 8 entirely depends on Metro UI only.