Thread: Need software to blank desktop screen for windows 7

Need software to blank desktop screen for windows 7

Hope you guys have understood what i meant in the title. Actually i have more than 50 icons (including shortcuts and folders) on my desktop. Many times while working with notepad or so, i mistakenly drag mouse on desktops that moved my icons or put it in another folders available nearby. That creates some problem for me. Hence i need to always hide them right clicking on desktop > View > uncheck Show Desktop Icons. But that seems bit long process for doing every time.

So i want some kind of software utility that can do this at a click. It should make my screen blank and restore icons back with a click when i want. Is there any such software ?

Re: Need software to blank desktop screen for windows 7

You mean to say that you need an application that can Hide or Unhide your desktop Icons, rigth ? I though something else with the term "blank desktop screen" as you mentioned in the title

Anyway, there is an application called HideDesktopIcon. It is meant for the same. You can pin this app to the taskbar and just click it to hide or unhide your desktop icons. very light app, very simple and very effective. Download and learn more about it from here: Setup hotkey for Show Desktop Icons

Quote Originally Posted by Mullaiiii View Post
    So i want some kind of software utility that can do this at a click. It should make my screen blank and restore icons back with a click when i want. Is there any such software ?
    Well, the applications mentioned above is very good. Even i had used it for weeks. But i have seen many users who dont want to install any 3rd part app in their system. if you are one of those, than you can do that thing with a simple notepad as well. Just open notepad and and copy paste this:
    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

Now save the file with any name but give it extension .scf. Now whenever you want, you can run this file and your job will be done.

In case you want to do this to protect it from anyone to watch them on your desktop, you can create a file that will black down yoiur desktop with a click. To do this, go to desktop, right click and select new shortcut. Now browse to C:\Windows\System32\ and select a fine name "scrnsave". Click next and Ok. You will see a file on your desktop like this:

Just click on it and you will see a black/blank desktop. if you want to see your desktop back, simply hit any key or move mouse. It is like a screen saver.