Thread: Using StarDock on Windows 8

Using StarDock on Windows 8

How to add StartDock on Windows 8. Will it work or not. I had used on Windows 7 and it is quiet easy to hook favorite documents on the same. I had Windows 8 loved the new interface. It is better and very nice. It works quiet nicely on my system. But I want help to add StarDock on it. How to do that. I have a setup of Windows 7. Will that work on it. Thanks.

Re: Using StarDock on Windows 8

You do not need StarDock type tool for Windows 8. The Metro UI itself is a short menu that you can use. You can add a fence type box on the screen and then put your icons in that. You can either drag them or simply right click on the icon to place inside Metro UI. You must try out the same, it works quiet nicely. Ignore the dock for sometime.

Forget about StarDock. There is another tool that is made by the same company to bring back Start Menu on Windows 8. It is called as Start 8. This works quiet nicely and much more smoother to use. There is no better Start Menu in Windows 8 which makes it complicated to use. But you can use the Start 8 app to make it more better. You can check a screen-shot web about how it looks. I had installed and it work very nicely. The tool is free. After installation you can see a Start Menu on Windows 8 interface. This menu provides you to option to run and search files.

The Start Menu comes with similar options like Shutdown button or a custom start button image. You can make it look like Windows Start Menu or any different you want by adding a customized images. The tool works automatically. There is no need to run. StartDock does not work on Windows 8, as there is entirely different interface. The tool works on Windows 8 Consumer Preview and yet very effective.

Windows 8 lack customization support. You must not add any third part app making your system too slow. It is not complicated to find, but there are some add-ons that you can try out. Windows 8 is yet near to final stage where you can find much better options in future.

RocketDock offers you a tool for that. StarDock will not work, but you can use MetroDock. The look and interface of docks that are yet available for Windows 8 is entirely changed and different. On Windows 8 we can easily find a flashy 3D effect dock, but things have changed a lot. In MetroDock you get a popup type menu which open like a sidebar. The desktop icons are adjusted on its own when the bar is launched. You have to install RocketDock first and then you can add skins as per your choice. I can only find this tool for Windows 8 Desktop. But for that you have to g

o on Desktop instead of Metro UI. There is no customization option provided for Metro UI. They had changed the interface in different way where I think developers will need to put brain in developing a better customization tools. I am also trying to find some themes and option through which I can make it more better.

Did you checked RainMeter. This would work I think. Because this tool work like a layer on Windows Desktop and I hope it would give you extra options. I do not understand why Microsoft added MetroUI. Instead of that they must provide some kind of docks or flashy effect.

I found some website that provides themes for this operating system. But I am not sure till what extent this works. Those themes do not put much effect. I am sure till yet no one had installed StarDock on Windows 8. There is a desktop provided but it is too basic. The Start Menu is also entirely different. It looks Microsoft has removed many things from this operating system making it very light. The Metro UI is just a front part to give you quick access to files. There is no dock support yet. I was having a old dock which use on Windows 7. When I installed that on Windows 8, it showed me error that this version is no longer support.

So it looks along with new interface, Microsoft has also removed support for such softwares. I would like to text some new stuff also. I had installed Start8. This does not gives you many options but just restore the old Start Menu back on Windows 8.

Is there any guide on web which can give us a detailed way to customize Windows 8. I checked the help section but there is rare stuff mentioned. It looks the Consumer Preview has many less additions in it. The final version of this operating system will have more thing inside it.

Windows 8 reminds mostly of Surface tablet. I just checked a video which showed a preview of Surface Tablet. The existing interface of Windows 8 is made for touch type system. Like Tablet, All in One desktop, etc. You will surely find that uncomfortable to some extent. Because I had seen that when you use the same with mouse or keyboard it is a bit complicated to handle. We are use to Start Menu, or docks where you hook your favorite shortcut and launch the same. The current Metro UI reminds me about Fences. In that you can drag the icons on desktop and launch them instantly. But it is not all stable.

Windows 8 is light but complicated. I am using this for over couple of weeks and still try to search for that Start Menu. You have to manually put many icons on Metro UI to access that quickly. This is not at all complicated, but very different compared to the same start menu.

There is no use of adding a dock on Windows 8. There are number of reasons behind that. Windows 8 is nice in many ways. It has powerful protection and many features which are yet pending to explore. One thing I was thinking, is that even if you add a dock to this system how would it respond on the Metro UI.