Thread: What does Desktoptopia do?

What does Desktoptopia do?

I own a Mac Book Pro and I apply the default in built themes and wallpapers on it. But recently saw my sister’s laptop on which she had modified to have a Justin Bieber theme. I liked the way she had modified and felt that I too should have such modified desktop. Since I have Mac Book Pro, the desktop modification tool for Windows won’t work on my laptop. Can anyone tell me if there is any desktop modification tool for Mac OS?

Re: What does Desktoptopia do?

You can try Desktoptopia which you will find on internet for download. It is a good desktop modification tool for Mac OS. Actually this application doesn’t work with custom images or themes but rather it is connected to the server which keeps changing the background image and other elements regularly. A collection of images created by many artists who create and upload keeps loading on your screen. Every time some artist uploads his art on the server on master collection, the image or piece of art is loaded as desktop wallpaper on your Mac Book Pro’s screen.

This application helps to keep the desktop background fresh and completely new. Since the background wallpapers will be created by the artists and then uploaded on the server into the master collection, the images will be first of all to be seen on your laptop. Many people have misconception that the background is loaded as soon as some person uploads a new picture in master collection. At this rate, one will not be even able to see most of the wallpapers quickly. But let me tell you, a person can set a time limit after which the wallpaper will change. So if time of 1 hour is set, ten best pictures from one hour will be set as desktop background.

Desktoptopia is an application that uses RSS feed technique to get the pictures from the master collection on your desktop as the background. There is also a rating system which the user can use to rate a picture and get it on the top of the list. This application connects itself with Flickr. So if you want to send your pictures or images, you can create an album on Flickr and it will go on uploading on the master collection. Other people will rate it and if rated high, it will be sent on other people’s Desktoptopia, that is, will be applied on their laptops or desktop Macs as background image.

Actually when Desktoptopia started it had an awesome collection of pictures which was updated regularly. But as time went by not many artists took interest in uploading pictures. So now the database has not been updated from a long period of time. There are many categories available in the master collection and many pictures are available. But now it has gone stagnant and rarely you will find some new picture being uploaded in the maser collection. Even the official website is nowadays down, so I don’t know if the original developers have deserted this project and moved on to some other project.

One good thing about Desktoptopia which I liked is the quality of the image. The resolution and the color quality were excellent. Also the images were nice and had creativity in them. But some problems that his application faced were that of bugs. Yes, Desktoptopia had many bugs. Also it faced lot of issues regarding stability and often users complained of Desktoptopia crashing. Also many times it happened that the wallpapers wouldn’t load properly and thus it would face errors.